Chapter 30 - Making Plans

They spent a wonderful week getting to know the local area and just being together. On one day, Paul suggested exploring the local village. Michelle was surprised as normally he avoided public places. The village was a delight, consisting of a cluster of houses, a small shop that sold everything, a post office, a school and a doctor's surgery. Michelle fell in love with it! People were friendly and welcomed them. Paul was keen to introduce Michelle to someone in the village – the local doctor. Confused, Michelle went along with his request and followed him into the surgery.

"Hello," said a soft scots accent, "You must be the couple my brother told me about. Welcome to Stobo!"

"Richard?" Michelle was really confused.

"No – I'm Tom – Thomas – Richard is my twin brother."

Michelle started laughing, "You knew didn't you?" she asked Paul.

He nodded. "Richard owns the house. He offered it to me as a wedding present."

Later that day, sat in the garden enjoying the last of sun, Paul and Michelle chatted about the day.

"What do you think of Stobo, Michelle?"

"I love it! What a peaceful place to bring up a family, especially compare to all the noise of London." She grinned. "Nice dream but not very practical since both our lives are London based."

"You don't have to work though," said Paul softly, "especially when we have children."

"Yes but Paul, I'd be bored rigid not working now!"

"Mmmm. What do you think of the house?"

"Stunning! It's beautiful! Why?"

"It's for sale."

Michelle looked at him, puzzled. "And?"

"Would you like to buy it? We could live here sometimes to get away from London? We haven't got a 'home' that's ours have we? You've just had to slot into Cavendish Avenue."

"But I'm happy there."

"I know but, well I thought it would be nice. Our place in the country where we can do what we want, when we want. What do you think?"

"Can you afford it? I bet it's expensive."

Paul raised his eyes at her. "Of course WE can. It's our money Michelle, not mine! Well? To buy or not to buy?"

" Buy."

"Sure?"

"Oh Paul, do you mean it?"

"Oh yes! My wedding present to you."

They went to bed early that night, made love then lay talking, making plans for what they could do with the house.Returning to London a few days later was something of a culture shock for them both after the tranquility of Stobo. Rose greeted them and commented on how well they were looking. Michelle told her excitedly about their plans to buy the house there.

"Although Rose," Paul called from the hallway, "get Michelle to let you see the sale leaflet – any McCartney house has to include you so you have to agree too!"    

Shortly after celebrating their first wedding anniversary, Michelle felt the time was right to make an important suggestion to Paul. She gave Rose the evening off and made a nice meal for them both to share. Paul arrived home from the studio, cheerful but tired. They sat in the kitchen talking about the day. Michelle put her knife and fork down.