Chapter 36 - Inner Strength?

The following day Michelle had a solicitors appointment. As normal, she would be required to pay some money upfront for his services. Leaving the twins with Rose and Richard, she headed off first to the bank to collect some money.

“Mrs. McCartney. I’m sorry. There is a note on your account which says the manager would like to speak to you before any further funds can be withdrawn.”

Michelle looked confused, knowing that there should be enough money in the account for what she needed. She was led through to the bank manager’s office.

“Is there a problem?” Michelle asked, “Only I have an urgent appointment with my solicitor in twenty minutes.”

The bank manager, who was only a young man in his early thirties, looked uncomfortable. “Mrs. McCartney, I can only apologise for the hold up.”  He paused. “This is a little awkward Mrs. McCartney. I am afraid Mr McCartney has closed your access to the bank account. We can not allow you to take any money without his permission.”

“What!”

“I am truly sorry but I’m sure you can understand that all we are doing is following the instructions of the account holder.”

He looked at her as she blanched in shock. Aware of her condition, he was keen to ensure she was well.

“Can I get you a drink or something Mrs. McCartney?”

Michelle recovered herself quickly. She just wanted to be away and out of the room. Her cheeks began to burn with embarressment. She stood.

“No…..Thank you.” And she left the room.

Once outside the bank she leaned against the wall and tried to calm herself. Noticing her heavily pregnant state, a passer-by stopped to ask her if she needed a doctor. She shook her head, thanking them for their concern. She considered her next action.

Storming into a nearby building, Michelle walked up to the reception desk.

“I need to see Tom NOW!”

“Do you have an appointment Mrs..?”

“My name is McCartney. I need to see him now!”

“I’m sorry but he’s in a partners meeting and won’t be available for another hour or so. Maybe he could ring you?”

Michelle walked down the corridor to where she knew Tom’s room was. The receptionist tried her best to stop her. She gave two firm knocks on the door and then entered before being permitted. Three men around a table looked up. Immediately recognizing her, Tom stood up.

“Michelle?….”

“I’m sorry sir,” the receptionist gasped behind her, “I tried to stop her.”

“Don’t worry Anna.” he said quietly. He turned to the men in the room. “I need to speak with Mrs. McCartney gentlemen. Perhaps we could take a short break?”

Tom and Michelle were left alone. “Michelle, I’m presuming you’re here because of the divorce papers. I’m sorry. I can’t talk with you because I’m handling Paul’s side. You need to find your own solicitor.”

“I know that,” said Michelle angrily, “I’m not here about divorce papers.” She stopped, steadied herself and calmed down. “Look Tom, I’m sorry I barged in like this but I don’t know what else I can do. Paul has frozen my access to the bank account. I can’t get any money to buy what I need to feed and clothe the twins. Surely, even though we’re divorcing, Paul has responsibility to make sure we’re provided for?”

“What do you mean?”

“I went to the bank about 10 minutes ago to draw some money out to do what I need but I taken through to the manager who informed me that Paul has prevented me from taking any money. How am I supposed to survive? I can’t work because of the twins and this baby so I have no choice but to get money from him. Did you know about this?”