Chapter 37 - Fighting Back

The court date to decide on the custody of the twins was set. Michelle turned up early, accompanied George Martin. She was petrified but held herself together in order to show she was strong. Paul was called to the stand and asked to make his appeal to the court. Michelle felt her stomach lurch as she saw him for the first time since he had left. She kept her eyes on him but he showed no reaction to her.

"Your Honour," he began, "I have great concerns regarding the quality of care and safety of my children if they are left in the long term care of my wife once we are divorced. These concerns come from the fact that my wife has a history of mental health problems. Including in 1965, when she had to be hospitalized for over two months following a mental breakdown. During this time she attacked myself twice and attacked a member of hospital staff resulting in injuries requiring urgent medical treatment and resulting in a long term absence from work. I am concerned that should this state return, which we were told could do so, especially once her current pregnancy reaches its end, that she could do something to harm herself or the children.

I hope the court can see that despite the young age of the children and the fact that my wife is currently pregnant, for the safety of all three children, they would be better placed with me with my wife having supervised access."

Michelle sat in silence next to George. She could feel his anger towards Paul so she squeezed his hand. Next, the court reports were read out about her. The first was a report done after coming to see her with the children a home. To her relief it was all complimentary, praising her patience, her sense of fun and the fact that both children were very well cared for.

Next was the psychological reports. Michelle's heart plummeted with fear. This was the part she had been dreading. First was Helen Morris. She described Michelle's history but put it in the context of trauma and how humans deal with it. She praised her for how hard she had worked to recover and how she had completed the transition from hospital to home quickly. She also went on the report how well she was now and felt the children would be damaged if removed from their mother's care as that was all they had known for most of their short lives. Michelle was intensely grateful for those comments and felt that it that at least showed something positive about her.

After that, a doctor appointed by the courts stood to speak. Michelle felt sick with fear. She was shaking. George Martin held her hand to try to reassure her.

"I met Mrs. McCartney on two occasions. Firstly, I spent two hours in the family home and observed her normal interactions with her children. The twins had had a restless night because they had been teething. Mrs. McCartney explained how when this was the case the care was shared with herself and her house keeper. I met the housekeeper, a delightful woman by the name of Rose. She has worked for the McCartney family for nearly ten years and said the twins felt like her own grandchildren. It was clear she loves those children as if they were her own! The children were having lunch as I arrived. They were both sat in high chairs next to a big table where Mrs. McCartney and Rose were eating with them. On the whole they were able to feed themselves the sandwiches that were for their lunch. Mrs. McCartney explained how she always made sure that she ate with the children as she wanted them to learn table manners and interaction over food from an early age. The twins had milk in a bottle with their meal. Mrs. McCartney stopped breastfeeding three weeks ago in preparation for the arrival of the couple's third child in just over 7 weeks. I was struck by how happy the children were. They were comfortable with me as a stranger in the house and insisted I had a sandwich too! After eating the children had a period of play. Mrs. McCartney and Rose played games with the children. There sang songs which it was clear the children were familiar with and they tried to join in.

I briefly examined both children. They are both of good size and ideal weight. They both show excellent dexterity, and the little girl particularly was making good attempts to speak. They are clearly stimulated and happy. Both children are showing signs of standing with the support of furniture and the little boy was trying to make supported steps. Both children show that their development and their understanding of language is advanced for their age. The children were due an afternoon sleep. Mrs. McCartney read them a quiet story which was clear is also part of their normal routine.