Chapter nineteen | Go

Alexis P.O.V

Waking up was the last thing I thought I'd be doing after the memory of why I even passed out came to mind.

Payne was choking me and the ghost feeling of a hand being around my neck assured me that I didn't imagine what happened. Not that Payne choking someone to death was surprising really but the only surprising thing was that I was still alive and presently in what I think is his room.

The walls were dark in color matching the sheets that were presently covering me up until my chest, the lights were dim in here barely illuminating the place and as I sat up and balanced my weight on my elbows I noticed a dark figure sitting on the ground opposite the bed.

The dark hair that blended perfectly with the darkness and the piercing grey eyes that stared right at me caused my stomach to churn. I knew it was Payne staring at me.

My heart began to race in my chest for no apparent reason even though he sat still on the ground. His long, muscular legs were revealed as I noticed he still wore only his black boxer briefs. His broad muscled chest revealed together with his toned six pack and his ever so noticeable V-line. His sun kissed golden skin covered by those multiple tattoos of different symbols and designs looked darker in the dim light as he sat there but that didn't make him look any less perfect than he always did. His high check bones and those pink lips that stood under a straight small nose. He was devilishly beautiful but very deadly in deed.

Rubbing a hand over my throat where his finger prints probably still marked I winced a little and cleared my throat ready to talk. The first go didn't work out and sounded more like a pathetic weaze but after clearing my sore throat again my voice came out hoarse but it was an improvement. "Why am I in here?" It was a stupid question but something needed to be said.

His gaze didn't falter or shift and I now realized his eyes looked more troubled than I'd ever seen before. Those grey eyes seemed even lighter.

"What's wrong?" I asked, voice still a hoarse whisper and even though I didn't expect an answer it was worth a shot. He looked tired and haunted and whatever was going on in that messed up mind of his was showing in his dead gaze.

"Why don't you hate me anymore?" His deep voice croaked out and it sounded heavier than usual. His gaze fell from mine and rested on the ground where his legs were lying against.

"What do you mean?" I asked, surprised by the question and I found that I had to ask myself the same thing. The sheets fell onto my waist as I sat up and leaned back against the pillows to get a better view of him.

"When you tried to escape and you ran, I choked you and I knew you hated me then. The look you gave me-" His gaze lifted back to mine. His grey eyes meeting my dull blue ones. "-You don't have it anymore. Even after what I just did to you." He paused and tilted his head to the side studying me. "I think the real question is what's wrong with you?"

Now my eyes were the one to fall to the sheets covering me. Payne Vincent, a monster most werewolves fear because of his brutality and lack of emotion such as remorse, he is my mate and I'm presently in his bedroom lying on his dark sheets after he almost choked me to death in the hallway. I was in a bedroom with him alone, he was barely dressed and with his strenght there's no doubt he could take advantage of me or even worse he can kill me. Thing was, I knew all these things, I knew he truly was a monster and someone to fear, I knew he didn't have much feelings and it was impossible to hurt him, calling him a coward earlier just got him angry, anger was the only emotion shown to me regularly and sometimes he was just distant. Then there was the times he tried to be normal, well as normal as he could be. There was so much things wrong with this man that the Goddess chose to be my mate but here I was, alone with him and there wasn't an ounce of fear in me. Maybe I was insane because I definitely felt fear earlier.