Chapter 19: Brave Honest Beautiful

XIX. 

Camila Cabello's heart was fluttering like mad. Her adrenaline was searing through her body as she yanked the front door of Normani's car open and slid behind the wheel. Not one to be particular savvy with directions, Camila began to scour the most familiar parts of the city, starting with Lauren's favourite spot in the library, the coffee shop on campus, and even the bar she worked at.

About an hour of driving around blindly passed, and she became frustrated. Parking the Ford Taurus in a public lot, and leaning back in her seat, Camila eyed the rose that was lying on the dashboard, and took a deep breath of stale Normani perfume and damp air. She pulled her phone out, tapping on the most recent number in her call log.

"Dinah? Do you have any idea where she could be?" Camila asked as the Polynesian picked up. "I've checked almost everywhere, I swear to god this is getting old."

"Did you check the bar?"

"Yeah."

"All around the neighbourhood?"

"All around it."

There was a muffled silence, and Camila heard Dinah speaking to someone on the other end. "Oh, Mani just suggested the library."

"Checked."

"Damn Mila. I don't know what else to tell you." Dinah sounded just as exasperated as Camila felt. "It has to be within walking distance or accessible by bus. Maybe she went to see a movie? Where's her favourite place in the city?"

Camila rolled her eyes. "Lauren doesn't see movies alone, no one does. And how am I supposed to know?"

Dinah let out a frustrated breath. "Um, maybe because you dated her? And by the way I saw a movie alone when I went back home, thank you very much."

"That's cause you're a loser." Camila sighed. "Come on, I need you to think. Where are the others?

"We're here Camila." Ally piped through the receiver. "And Dinah would like me to promptly tell you that she isn't a loser."

"Even though she is." Normani added.

"Excuse me?" Camila heard Dinah again. "Coming from the girl who ate a whole cylinder of buffalo wing pringles in five minutes?"

"Dinah Jane Hansen, those things are the one item of junk food I allow myself. DO NOT take that joy away from me." Normani snapped back. It was times like this when Camila's roommates doubled as the most useless help on the face of the earth.

"I'm hanging up now." Camila said as she hit the red button and tossed her phone to the seat next to her. After grabbing a piping hot decaf from a nearby shop and settling herself back behind the wheel, she poked around for ideas. There were only a number of people who knew Lauren better than she did. Picking up her phone again, Camila tapped around until she landed on a contact she hadn't ever used before.

A few rings later and static through the receiver indicated life on the other end of the line. Panic bubbled in her for a moment. Was there a time difference between New York and Miami? No, they were on the same sides of the country. Right?

"Hello?"

"Taylor?" Camila's eyes were locked on the flower as she spoke.

"Yeah, it's me. Who is this?"

"Hey sweetie, it's Camila... Cabello." The brunette threw her last name in as well. She knew it was late, and even her brain was beginning to fog over. She heard some rustling around, and she assumed that the younger girl was in the process of sitting up. "I know it's late, and I'm really sorry if I woke you."