Jealousy

Rebecca's dress for the day. By the way, the detailing at the bottom is supposed to be feathers.
______________________

Maddox and I were eating lunch in his room when his father barged in.

"What do I hear about you not spending time with Julianna?" He spoke angrily.

Maddox have his father a cool glare.

"I am not interested in the princess. She is snobbish and ignorant."

"Oh please! She's beautiful. You can get past it."

"Is that why you married mother?"

His father faltered at this.

"The times were different then. Now, we are on the verge of war and a union could save lives. You need to give her a chance!" His father cried.

"No it won't! Julianna is self righteous and greedy. She will be a horrible queen, and in the end could ruin our kingdom more than a war!"

The king scoffed, turning away. Then looked sharply at me.

"And you think she would be a good queen?"

"I know she will," Maddox answered.

I looked at him, in awe. How could he be so sure?

"She's uneducated! A simple girl!" The king roared.

"Simple?" Maddox whispered, then looked at his father with thinly controlled anger.

"Nothing is simple about Rebecca! She cares more about the care of others than her own well being! She loves the citizens of this country more than anything else. If she had it her way, she would give away every dress, every crumb of her food to someone in need.

That is what this country needs. Julianna would happily drain all the country's funds on a pretty crown then rule over a deserted land. But still be happy taking the last of the food from a starving child," Maddox screamed, furious.

The king was stunned as he looked at his son. He silently nodded.

"I will take your opinion into consideration," he said.

Then, left the room. I looked at Maddox, shocked. He stood there, breathing heavy over what he admitted.

"Rebecca?" He asked.

"Yes?" I replied shakily.

"You better not leave me after this."

Leave him? Why would I leave him?

Then I remembered the deal. Before, I was so sure I didn't want to stay here. But I've almost been forced out twice now, and I remember how desperately I wanted to stay.

"I'm so confused," I admit, looking Maddox in the eye.

He gives me a puzzled look.

"About what?"

" Why?"

"How could I be queen? How could you want this for me? You haven't even known me for two months!"

He gazed at me intently.

"Time is not a thing I need to know someone. I know you better than anyone. More than your parents, who have known you all your life. It's because, I think we were meant to be. Someone, our names are written in the stars. I think you'll be a great queen," he said slowly, surely.

I let it sink in, then smiled.

"I don't know why. But you changed my mind. The other day, when I was so sure I had to leave, I was more heartbroken than when I had to leave my home and come here. I care about you greatly, Maddox. Prince or not."

He smiled, then pulled me into a sweet embrace.

"I can't believe it took you getting completely drunk to realize that."

I giggled.

"Better late than never."

"So that's what you think about me, Maddox," a snide voice sniffled from the door way. I froze head to toe. It was Julianna.
.....

Julianna went home early. And trust me, it wasn't because we made her. She told her father what Maddox said, saying that he thought their kingdom was gold diggers and that they rule horribly because they use all their money on themselves.

Which isn't true. Maddox only said that about her. Orian declared war. We are now in a battle. The king blames Maddox for his careless words. I don't know what we're going to do.

Maddox doesn't spend time with me. He's always trying to make battle plans and strategize. Which I understand. Or at least I'm trying to. I guess I'm just startled by the idea of Maddox drifting away from me.

I also feel like this whole thing is my fault.