00:04

[dedicated to Em, who is such a talented writer]

.*.*.

The stars always felt like home to Arlando and the fact that Kathleen deciphered that by herself, without him telling her made his heart warm. He closed the book, keeping his hand between the pages as a holder so he wouldn't lose his page. Arlando closed his eyes and an involuntary smile took over his lips as he tried to picture the Kathleen he knew from his university days.

Kathleen was a beautiful woman. She had blonde hair and she always had the habit of tipping her head forward so that her bangs were covering her beautiful blue eyes from view. Her lips were always red. She'd never once met him without wearing her trademark red lipstick. Arlando didn't know if his memory was serving him right since all his other memories of her was buried deep. The first night he shared with Kathleen staring up at the stars was the first night he let someone into his home; his heart. Landon found Arlando's fascination with the stars strange so stargazing with his best friend was definitely out of the question.  

Putting a little force on his hand, he opened up the wedge wider and brought the book closer to his face, his body relaxing and sinking deeper into the softness of his bed. Eager to read more, he turned the page.

.*.*.

CHAPTER THREE

You weren't wearing a suit the next time we met and seeing you simply dressed in jeans that were rolled up from the bottom so they were well above your ankle and a navy blue shirt that clung to your body perfectly was a new sight. A new scenery that I was enjoying.

We met two nights later after our last encounter and when we met again in the park, I stopped short right in front of you and my eyes went up and down as I soaked in your new appearance. It was strange but fitting. I'm not quite sure if I'm making sense but the new look was strange since I'd never seen you dress casual before, then again we've only spent two nights together, but it was fitting because it suited your dark and alluring looks perfectly.

"What happened to the suit, mister?" I teased, my red stained lips lifting up into a smirk.

You rolled your eyes clearly annoyed by the greeting. "Hello to you, too," you replied curtly, your dark curls falling over your hazel eyes and I did my best to control the urge to push them back and run my fingers through your hair. It looked more untamed than it did the first and second night that we met and much more attractive.

This time you brought a blanket instead of a blazer to lie down on. Well, technically I had forced you into bringing a blanket but you were the one who offered to bring one because of all the complaints you received from me about how dirty I was when I reached my dorm.

You unfolded the neatly folded blanket and spread it across the  evergreen grass. You plopped yourself down with a small thud and made yourself comfortable. Your legs were spread out in front of you and your back was on top of the blanket, lying down and your eyes were trained on the stars. I was most certain that you forgot about my presence because of how immersed you looked by just watching the small balls of burning gas far away in the galaxy when you ripped your stare away from the stares and looked at me, one side of your lips lifted up and your brows lifted as well, an inquisitive look gracing your features.

"Are you going to stand there all night staring at me because I tell you that you are sure as hell missing out this," he said, jerking his head to the sky to emphasise what he was indicating.

Your words made my heart do a flip and I felt everything in me burn and start warming up. I was sure that now my cheeks were tinted a rosy colour due to my embarrassment. You noticed me looking at you. But strangely I felt more flattered than embarrassed. You noticed me looking at you and unlike most of my ex-boyfriends or the men I'd met you didn't give me a sarcastic or cocky retort. You seemed amused but you acknowledged that there were more breathtaking views and in your opinion it was the shining, dazzling stars.