2~Knot by knot

∞ Lou's POV ∞

I

 stepped on the shore of the land and stretched my arms and legs. I looked around noticing the busy crowd on the port of Mila. Sailors, beggars, and highborn gentlemen walking around without fear for their lives or their belongings.

Aye, that's the most annoying thing about guarded islands. That, and also the fact that they were obviously infested with guards.

In a handful of minutes, our crew had already finished unloading the ship, which was not really loaded in the first place, except for some food and water barrels.

The crew dispersed after speaking with their Captain, who had to repeat the instructions that Haven gave them on deck to almost everyone.

Haven watched them leave, nodding slightly to reassure the hesitant eyes that stared his way.

"Sailors," he had said earlier before we hit the shores, "I'm sorry you have to go to your families without your payment in your hands, but I'm asking you to be patient. We've been through a lot on this sail and your efforts were admirable. I promise to pay for your endurance. I'll need you to go home for the day, and the day after tomorrow, please come to visit your Captain. He will wait for you beside this ship, of course, it will be as usual at the port of Mila. He will pay you each by his rank-"

"Will we get more money for standing to pirates?" a sailor interrupted him, and several of his mates nodded. I scoffed; I didn't see them 'standing' when we aided on their asses.

"I am promising you your usual payment, sailor. As for the matter of extra settlement, you'll find your answer when you go see the Captain. As for the guards, you will also get paid the day after tomorrow. Come find me in my main shop in the market. Now I know you'll be eager to count the disturbances that occurred to us", his eyes met mine very briefly and I couldn't hold my smirk, "to every soul you encounter. I will ask you to be patient because such news can travel quickly and hinder my business as well as my capacity to pay you for your services. All I ask of you is to wait until you get paid before spreading the news about our late arrival"

Obviously, some of the sailors and the guards didn't like being paid late. They complained, not to Haven, but to their Captain. Unfortunately for them, that got them nowhere, because Haven literally had no money with him; the sum that Agenor left him barely covered the food and water.

So here we were, standing at the port as the crew dispersed.

"Sir Aimeri, if you'd like to wait here, I'll go fetch you a horse"

"I'm walking home, thank you"

"Well..." the Captain looked at me warily and continued "I should escort you then. To make sure you get home safely"