•ONE•

Gabrielle Wright

Another loud clap of thunder shook the room, as lightning lit up my apartment, causing me to slightly jump.

I was laying on the couch in my living room with my boyfriend, Hayes, watching Orange is the new Black.

It's been storming all day, so we both decided to just have a lazy day and stay inside.

My phone buzzed on the pillow next to me, indicating that I got a text.

I noticed Hayes' eyes shift to my phone screen and back to the TV.

I picked up my phone and looked at the screen to see a text from my friend Andrew. We went to high school together, but I haven't talked to him in a while.

Hey Gabby, can I ask you a quick question?- Andrew

of Course. What's up?- Gabby

"Who texted you, babe?" Hayes asked, eyes still locked on the TV.

"No one." I answered while setting it back down on the pillow.

I know how he reacts when guys text me, and it's been a pretty good day so far so I'd hate to ruin it with some irrational argument.

"Tell me." He furrowed his eyebrows and I could sense him getting upset.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because I'm your boyfriend and I want to know." He said, annoyed.

"Andrew." I said bluntly.

"Who?"

"His name is Andrew," I rolled my eyes "And don't get your fucking panties in a twist. I haven't seen or talked to him since like high school."

"His?" He ignored everything I previously said.

"Yes, Hayes." I said then turned up the TV volume in hopes to shut him up.

"I'm not done talking. I don't know anyone named Andrew." He turned his whole body so he was facing me.

"Hayes, he literally went to high school with us. Calm down." 

"Ok, well if we all went to high school together, why is he texting you like three years after we graduated? I know the people you knew from high school, and he doesn't ring a bell." He went on.

"Hayes, please listen to me, ok?"

"Ok, I'm listening."

"You don't have to worry about a thing, ok? I love you. You know I'd never cheat on you and I've never given you a reason to believe that I would."

"I love you, too... But I don't want you talking to him." He shrugged his shoulders and turned back to the TV.

I looked over to him and he was still staring at the TV screen. I rolled my eyes "He's a really ni-"

"What did I tell you?" He cut me off.

"Hayes, we've been dating for six years, ever since we were fifteen years old. I'm not going to ruin it all because of some guy I barley know."

"Ok, and I'm not letting you spend time with him."

"The plan was never to spend time with anyone!" I started to raise my voice.

"I don't know what your plans may be. I haven't seen the messages." He shrugged and I just stayed silent because whether he saw the messages or not, he's not letting this go.

I let out a frustrated sigh and just decided to stop arguing with him. He was going to win anyways. He always does. 

"You know everything I do for you is because I love you." He pulled me into him kissed the top of my head.

I just went with it because if I didn't he would get mad and when he's mad nothing ever goes right.

I rolled my eyes then rested my head on his chest and closed my eyes, no matter how bothered I was by his "rules"

It's always been this way. He doesn't trust me around other guys and he never has. I've never given him any reason not to though, I think I've been pretty loyal and faithful to him. But then again, his definition of disloyalty is holding a conversation with other guys.

I would never cheat on him anyways. I've been with him this long, I don't see the point. It's just not something I could bring myself to do.

I just have to live with it and see if his possessive behavior gets any better.

Despite the fact that it's gotten worse over the years, I still try to work through it with him.

I feel like breaking up may not be an option with Hayes anyways.

-

A/N:
Just as a disclaimer, I intended for this book to be long since there were so many details to add along with the fact that half of it (along with the second book) was written during quarantine. I've gotten a few complaints about the length of this book, and I'd just like to say that I looovvveeeee feedback, whether it's constructive criticism or a positive message, but at this point, there's nothing I can do about the length. There are plenty of short chapters (2-3 pages) which makes the 80+ chapters go by fast, but if long books are not your thing, this might not be the right book for you. Whether you decide to continue reading or exit this book, I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to read the first chapter along with this message ❤️ :)