The Shy Girl Has a Gun...Chapter 39

“What?” Connor asks in disbelief.

“I Quit.” I repeat simply, the little shadow of doubt I had in my mind completely gone by now.

All of the guys stare at me with their mouths wide open, not quite believing the words that were coming out of my mouth.

“Can you just quit?” Jace asks aloud.

“No you can’t. It’s not exactly the type of job where you can just hand in your two weeks’ notice.”  Connor replies to him, only his eyes were on me like he was reminding me that getting out of this life was not easy. It was damn near impossible.

I shrug “I don’t care. I’m not doing this anymore. I never wanted this life in the first place, and Drake being replaced and forgotten in a heartbeat is the last straw. I’m not wasting the rest of my life working for that bastard.”

“He didn’t seem that bad.” Josh piped in, his cluelessness obvious by his tone.

“Shut up Josh.” Connor quickly tells him, before turning to look at me as if he hadn’t even spoken “Faith you do realise that you cannot walk away from this. Ed will never let you. Do you not remember the ultimatum he gave you when he recruited you?”

“What ultimatum?” Josh asks.

“Shut up Josh.” I dismiss him before replying to Connor “I know it won’t be easy, and I know he would rather see me dead that walk away from this.  I don’t know how I’m going to do it yet but I have never been more sure of anything else in my life, and I’m going to walk away and make sure that no one else I love dies because of my stupid mistakes.”

My tone cracks at the end of my sentence as everyone realises what I was getting at. No one else was going to die because of me, Drake already had and I was not going to let it happen again.

Connor’s eyes show sympathy as he looks at me “That wasn’t your fault.”

I shake my head, not wanting to have this conversation again “Doesn’t matter how many times people say that it doesn’t help because I know it’s a lie.”

Connor went to open his mouth to protest again but I cut him off “I’m getting out.”

Chris spoke this time “You know that the only way Ed will let you walk away is over his dead body Faith.”

My expression turns deadly serious as I reply “If that’s what it’s going to take, then so be it.”

Chris and Connor look at me with grave expressions, knowing that by the sound of my voice I was being completely serious. They could see what lengths I would go to get out of this life.

“Are we planning some sort of secret mission?” Josh asks with excitement, like a little kid in a toy shop.

“Shut up Josh.” The rest of us say in unison.

“When?” Connor asks, not having to elaborate because I knew exactly what he meant.

“Not yet. There’s something I have to do first.” I tell them, my mind already working out the plan. There was some unfinished business I had before I left, and I was going to finish it even if it was the last thing I did.

Connor and Chris nodded, already figuring out what I had in mind.

“Well, let us know when you wanna do this so we can gear up and plan it out.” Connor said.

I remained quiet as I looked at him before I shook my head slightly. His eyes angered over as he realised what I was trying to say.

“Oh hell fucking no, you do this you are not doing it on your own!” Connor blew up suddenly, realising that I had no intention of letting any of them help me.