eight

Harry

"I don't know what to do." I pace.

"Just bloody call her, Harry. What's the matter with you?"

"I don't know, Adam. It isn't that easy." I sigh, running my fingers through my tangled mess of hair.

"Was easy for you before. What happened?"

"She happened - I mean I don't know. She doesn't want to talk to me."

"You never know if you don't call her." He shrugs, strumming random chords on his guitar and humming along.

"What if she doesn't pick up?" I worry.

"Leave her a message." He simply replies.

"What if she does?"

"Jesus Christ Harry, then you talk to her."

"What do I talk about?"

"Anything! Harry, you're being ridiculous what's the matter with you?" He looks at me like I'm crazy. Which, maybe I am.

"I don't know, Adam. I'm nervous, I - "

"Why? There's no reason to be. You are just friends, right?" He stops playing and raises an eyebrow, and I know he's internally scolding me for acting this way when I technically have a girlfriend.

"Yes of course, Jesus, I - I just - she's just incredibly attractive. Makes me nervous."

"Okay... well... I mean if you want, invite her to that party. Y'know, the one Nick's havin'."

"No way, not Nick's."

"Well then I'm outta ideas. Sorry, Harry." He sighs, resuming his playing on the guitar. I sit silently listening to him dabble, trying to come up with something, anything to talk about.

"Whatever. Fine. I'll invite her to Nick's. You're going, right?"

"Hell yeah. Wouldn't pass up an opportunity for free beer." He laughs and I chuckle, shaking my head.

"Well then you'll have to meet her. Talk to her. I don't want her to feel left out. When do I call her?"

"Well, do you know her schedule?"

"No. I'll just call her later on I guess." 

"Call her now." He shrugs.

"Now?" I widen my eyes.

"Yeah, why not?"

"Bloody hell Adam, because - well - "

"No reason, see? Just do it, Harry."

"Fine." I grumble, pulling my phone out of my back pocket and going to my recent calls. She was the third one down, after my mum and Adam. "Adam, it's ringing." I whisper, pulling my bottom lip between my finger and thumb.

"Yes, Harry. That's what the fuckin' phone does." He rolls his eyes.

"She's not answering, it's - Hello? Uh, Hi. Beverly?" I widen my eyes and Adam's head pops up from his own phone and he snickers at me as I hold up my middle finger at him.

I'm already off to a bad start.

"Hi Harry," She chuckles, her voice clear as day.

"How are you?" I ask, clearing my throat and shifting nervously in my seat.

"I'm good. How are you?" She asks sounding urgent.

"Good, thanks. So erm - are you... busy right now?"