Jonah Clarke Is Victorious

Author's Note: This chapter is dedicated to  for always leaving great comments, seriously, they're amazing. Now I'm really excited to see your guys' reaction to this chapter and just a warning, it may be a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions. All I ask is that you don't hate me at the end of it. Love you guys

Daniel can feel his hands shaking and can feel a layer of sweat beginning to form all over his body despite the fact that it is March, and therefore Daniel should be freezing his ass off.

He runs through the steps in his head like some kind of mantra. Knock on the door, say hello, try and get through the day without falling apart. It sounds simple but Daniel is convinced that it can't possibly be.

Daniel's knock is tentative, and quiet. Possibly too quiet, and so Daniel knocks once again, shuffling from foot to foot in anticipation.

The door is quickly flung open to reveal a girl staring at him with an excited expression on her face and a grin that Daniel instantly recognises as being identical to Jonah's on her face.

"You must be Daniel," she beams.

Daniel is so taken aback by her enthusiasm – and the fact that both of the Clarke siblings seem to be happiness personified – that all he can do is nod and look gormless. Ruth doesn't seem to notice though and instead gestures for him to follow behind her. Daniel watches in awe as she skips down the corridor, her dirty blonde hair bouncing in its ponytail.

"Jonah's said a lot about you," Ruth tells him, "and so when he said he'd invited you round I made him promise to let me meet you. He's in the shower right now, so I guess I get to interrogate you as well."

Ruth must sense the look of distress on Daniel's face as she lets out a small giggle.

"Sorry," Ruth says, "Jonah tells me I have a terrible sense of humour. Do you want anything to drink?"

"Please."

"Coke okay?"

"Fine thank you."

"And polite as well, Jonah really did well finding you."

Daniel really does try to stop his cheeks from blushing but his attempts fail and he can feel his entire face beginning to heat up. Ruth may notice but she doesn't mention it, instead she leans over and ruffles his hair before reaching to grab a glass from the cupboard behind him.

All of Ruth's actions seem to be accompanied with chatter, endless questions and explanations and embarrassing stories about Jonah to the point where Daniel is surprised to find that he's been here for quarter of an hour already and despite the fact that he is yet to lay eyes on Jonah, he still feels strangely comfortable here.

The sound of footsteps on the stairs warns Daniel of Jonah's imminent arrival and Daniel turns to the doorway with a goofy smile already on his face. The smile slips as soon as he lays eyes on Jonah.

Jonah doesn't seem to notice him at first and so Daniel has time to drink him in. His hair is hanging from his forehead in wet curls, and a pair of boxer shorts are hanging loosely on his hips. Daniel feels his breath catch in his throat as he tries to tear his eyes away from Jonah's chest, but it's difficult. Because Daniel is starting to find it hard to distinguish between his friendly feelings for Jonah Clarke and his potentially something a little bit more feelings towards Jonah Clarke.

Surprise crosses Jonah's face when he sees Daniel.

"Shit," he murmurs, and Daniel notices that Jonah is refusing to meet his eye, "I thought I had another half an hour."