8.

Loud music filled my ears as soon as I stepped foot into the house. It was packed in here with people. Too many people. 

"Come on. This way." Niall nodded over to me before his hand intertwined with mine without hesitation. I followed him as he guided me through the packed house, my eyes catching all the people drunkenly dancing across the room, others sitting down and smoking and chatting. I realized I knew nobody here seeing as not one familiar face was in sight. I guess it was expected seeing as this was one of the other schools' parties. Niall, on the other hand, seemed to be well known.  Every so often he'd be greeted by someone new or he'd get a pat on the shoulder as we walked by.

"Oi oi! What's up Niall!" Some guy shouted loudly across the kitchen as we entered it.  Everyone's heads turning to look at us. He had clearly had too many drinks by the way he stumbled towards us. 

"Oh.. And you've brought someone with you." He smirked as he eyed me up and down making me feel uncomfortable. "Hey, what's your name?" He slurred as he turned his body towards me, his alcohol breath hitting me. Ew.

"Piss off, Sid." Niall scoffed. The guy shrugged and let out a chuckled before walking back to his friends. 

I was relieved when my eyes landed on my best friend who was standing in front of the kitchen island with Liam. They were too lost in conversation to even have noticed us enter the room.

I let go of Niall's hand, already starting to walk away from him when I felt his fingers wrap around my wrist, stopping me.

"Where ya going?" He raised his eyebrow. "Uh, I'm just gonna go with Sophia and Liam over there." I nodded over at them, confused as to why it mattered. 

Niall eyed them before looking back at me. "Alright. But stay with them, Ava. Don't go wondering around by yourself." 

"Sure?" I chuckled at his response which only made him furrow his eyebrows at me.  "I mean it, Ava. This place is running with drunk creeps and I'm not going to be around to-"

"What do you mean?" I interrupted him, a confused look on my face.

"Just stay with them until I'm back." He sternly said, his lips in a straight line.  

"Well, where are you going?" I raised my eyebrow at him. I was aware I was asking too many questions and Niall was growing annoyed, but Niall was acting weird. And I wanted to know why.

"Damn it, Ava! Just stay with them until I'm back! I mean it!" Niall snapped. His jaw clenched showing his frustration. I stared at him, surprised at how he was acting towards me. His tone towards me caught me completely off guard. 

"Fine. Whatever." I gave him a serious face, gulping away the lump in my throat before I turned around to leave. 

"Wait." I heard him call out at the same time I felt him grab my arm. "What just happened?" He stepped in front of me, his features softening and a confused look on his face as he look down at me. 

"I don't know, Niall. You tell me." I sighed crossing my arms across my chest. I was beyond annoyed now by how quickly his attitude changed with me. 

"Look, I'm sorry, Ava. I didn't mean to snap like that." He huffed, rubbing his forehead. "It's just I have some old friends here I want to catch up with and I might not be around to watch over you the whole night." 

I raised my eyebrow at him. "Watch over me? What makes you think you have to watch over me?" I raised my eyebrow at him. 

"I'm just saying, Ava." He sternly said. "I saw all the disgusting predatory looks these guys were giving you as soon as we stepped foot in this house, but you don't even notice it! I'm not going to be around to look after you all the fucking time! So stay with Liam and Sophia until I'm back!" He huffed, his tone getting louder with me.