Extra - Break-up...Make-up?

*This takes place the first time Jack leaves for school. Don't get confused with the other one-shots! haha.*

Jack was too quiet on the phone. It wasn't normally like him because he always had something to say. He would always read me something, or tell me how a class went. But tonight, he was a man of few words.

            It's been almost four months since I've seen him and I'm slowly losing my sanity. "Jack." I said softly. "Did I do something?"

            He let out a long breath and said, "No."

            "I can't tell."

            "Juliet." He said sharply, "I just...I'm tired of missing you. I don't know how long I can keep doing this." His tone was hard and held defeat.

            I pushed myself up against my pillows and tried to ignore the faint ache in my chest and the twisting of my stomach. "You'll be home in just a few weeks for the holidays."

            He sighed loudly again. "For how long, Juliet? Two weeks? That's not what I mean. It doesn't even feel like we're even a couple. I told you this wouldn't work while I'm here and you're there."

            Tears burned my eyes. "You never said that, Jack. You said we'd work it out like we always do. You wouldn't let me go this easy."

            He was quiet again.

            My bottom lip quivered. "You can't do this to me now. You promised—"

            "Clearly my promises mean nothing."

            I held the phone away from my face and covered my mouth. I choked on a sob and tears cascaded down my cheeks. At least this time I didn't have to worry about Jack seeing me cry. Yeah, because that's exactly what's important while my boyfriend is breaking up with me. "You're such an ass." I muttered through my hand.

            "So I've been told."  

            "Stop acting like this!" I slammed my hand down in my lap, "What the hell did I do to deserve to be treated this way? You want to break up, Jack? Fine. Now that you have your freedom back, I doubt you want someone like me anyway. You're nothing but time wasted, Jack McKinnon." I ended the call before I burst into tears.

            I buried my face in pillow and cried.

            None of what I said was true. Not a minute with Jack was wasted. But I needed to hurt him just like he hurt me. I didn't deserve to be treated that way. He couldn't even wait to break up with me in person, he had to do it over the phone. Well now he got what he wanted.

            As much as I wanted to beg to wait until he got here so we can think about it clearly, I didn't. I was too high on my pride now to even call him again. It's going to be one hell of a disaster when he comes home soon.

            Did our time together mean nothing to him?

            It all happened so fast and maybe I was overreacting. But all I could feel was this strain on my heart and I couldn't catch a deep breath. I curled my legs up to my chest, let go of a breath held captive, and fell asleep.

* * *

"Earth to Juliet."

            James's hand waved in front of my face and I snapped out of my thoughts. "What did you say?"   

            He smiled sadly. "I was asking if you would like to go to the movies."

            "Um, sure."