prologue

December.

When people think of the month of December, they remind themselves of white Christmases, the smell of pine trees, sugar cookies baking in the oven, Santa Claus and the giving their children presents wrapped with holiday bows. They think of kisses under mistletoe and snow. They think of cozy fireplaces. They think of happiness.

They think of hope.

When the people in my town think of December, they remember the Winslow's little girl. They remember the teen rebel who wrought havoc in our small town of Hawley, Massachusetts. The girl who wouldn't listen. The girl who got herself into huge trouble. And why? Because of a boy. They remember the beautiful, bubbly brunette with streaks of coral pink with the big blue eyes and how she ran away to California to pursue her music career and is now a rising indie singer.

But what they don't remember?

They don't remember me.

Compared to December's antics, they forget that December has a twin sister. That little detail is insignificant.

The girl who always did her homework, who sat silent in the back of the class, who never ever dared get into any trouble.

Until she did.

But what December did when she left? That made her a legend in this quiet little town of Hawley, that made everyone push me out of the way.

It's been four years since I've seen her. Since I spoke to her.

When I think of December, I think of compete and utter betrayal. I think of pain, of hurt, of regret.

She said she would never come back.

So you can imagine my surprise and horror, when she did.