thirty

ELI WALKED SILENTLY beside her with his hands shoved into his pockets

ELI WALKED SILENTLY beside her with his hands shoved into his pockets. Sophie kept her arms folded across her chest, her gaze glued to the ground. A sense of awkwardness had enveloped them.

"I've had to take the test before," Eli said after a while, breaking the silence. "It isn't that bad."

Sophie glanced at him. "Really?"

He nodded and looked at her. "You have too. You just don't remember it."

She scowled. Shaking her head, she followed Eli down a hallway, toward another massive wooden door. He pushed it open and led her down yet another hallway. "I have no clue what you're talking about," she said.

"That's how you got into this school," Eli said, matter-of-fact.

She paused and wrinkled her eyebrows at him. "What?"

He grinned impishly. "Each state has its own standardized test, doesn't it?"

Her nod was slow, hesitant.

"The standardized tests are created to test your knowledge on basic subjects. At least, that's what most kids are told. What you don't know is that on each test, there's a special section. It tests your instincts. If you happen to score particularly high, the academy takes notice. It means you have the basic qualities of a changeling."

Sophie stared at him. "And that means...?"

"It means that you have a higher chance at surviving the change, when compared to other humans." Eli wiggled his finger in the air. "Each student here at the academy has scored high on that section."

"I guess I scored high then," Sophie muttered. "Is that why the Headmaster wanted me to apply for the Night Class? Does everyone have to apply?"

Eli paused. His gaze settled on hers, a crease forming between his brows. "Everyone does, but don't get asked until further on. Usually after their first two years."

"Oh," she said.

"That just means that you scored particularly high," Eli explained, and smiled. "Which only serves to help confirm my theory."

Sophie arched an eyebrow. "And that would be?"

Eli shook his head. He stopped in front of a massive wooden door. It that looked vaguely similar to the door guarding Sophie's dorm. He pushed it open and Sophie squinted at the harsh light that seeped from the room behind it. A disgruntled harrumph sounded, and Sophie looked around. An arrangement of desks sat scattered around the large room, like a school classroom. Margret sat in one, her arms crossed over her chest. Her gaze glared holes into Sophie's face.

Sophie couldn't help but smirk.

"So nice of you to join us," Aubrey grumbled. She stood at the front of the room, a sour expression on her face. Headmaster stood beside her. His expression remained placid.