Chapter 15 - Mentally Drained

You guys...I've almost gotten 1,000 freaking reads on this book. You can't see it but I'm doing my happy dance right now! Thank you so much!

Corrine

Today marks the first day of the mental stage of our training. Eric explained that this part can be even more difficult than the physical part. I had a hard enough time with the physical, I'm not sure how much more I can handle.

Finn, Ricky, Marie and I quickly make our ways through the corridors to the new training area. As we walk through, I notice Jeanine Matthews here again speaking with Max. Why is she always here? I get a very uneasy feeling every time I see her here.

I brush off the feeling for now. I need to focus.

Four instructs us to line up and sit against the walls. He also explained that we would be enduring simulations. They dig into our brains and pick out our deepest fears, and we would have to overcome them. The first few weeks would be practice, and today we would only being doing one fear.

I sit against the wall and bounce my knees up and down, Four is in one room and Eric in the other, and they call us in one at a time. Four calls Drea first, and Ricky goes in with Eric.

It seems like time is going by so slowly. They've been in there forever.

"Calm down, Corrine." Finn whispers to me. I only shoot him a glare and continue bouncing my knees, attempting to soothe my racing heart beat.

After awhile longer, Eric opens the door and Ricky comes out, he stumbles a bit, wrapping his arms around himself. He doesn't look at anyone, he just walks out of the hallway and through the door. If I wasn't afraid before, I really was now.

"Corrine. You next." Eric says. I look at him with wide eyes. I can't do this.

"Today, initiate." He says. Words I've heard him say far too many times. I stand up on wobbly knees and make my way passed him and into the room.

There is a chair in the middle of the room, similar to the one I sat in for my faction test. I watch Eric place a vile into a needle gun and place it on a small metal table, then he looks up at me.

"Come sit down." He says quietly.

"Eric..I...I don't know.." I press my back against the door, my voice trembling.

"You have to, Corrine. You can do this. You have to face your fears and conquer them. You must stay calm and control your heart beat to get out of the simulation. Please sit down." He instructs again.

I wearily walk over and sit down in the chair, the material feels cool through the thin materiel of my tshirt. I can feel sweat forming on my forehead already.

"What things will I see?" I ask.

"One of your biggest fears. I'll be able to watch on the screen here, and I can wake you up if I feel it's too much, okay?" He pushed my hair away from my neck.

"Okay." And this time when my voice trembles it's because of his touch, and not fear.

"I'll be right here." He leans down and whispers into my ear, he presses a kiss to my jaw and then an all too quick one to my lips.

I take a deep breath as he pushes needle into the soft skin of my neck, I wince a little at the stinging sensation. And then it's over. My eyes get heavy and flutter shut.

The worst part about waking up, is that I see nothing. Just darkness. It's so dark I can't see my own hand in front of me. Darkness. I'm afraid of the dark.

My heart starts to pound in my chest as I realize what's going on. My breathe spill out of my mouth so quickly I can hardly catch the next one. I put my hand out in front of me and move it around slowly, small sobs leave my mouth. I can't feel anything.

I stand up, and inch my body forward, my hands out in front of me, searching for something, anything to help me see. My foot bumps something and I jump back in surprise.

"Wha..oh god what is that.." I whisper to myself. I push my foot out again, the object is soft..human like.

I bend down and put my hand on the object. When I feel wetness..thick wetness, like blood...I pull my hand back quickly, clasping it over my mouth to keep from screaming. I fall back against the ground and scoot myself away.

"No no no." I say to myself. I'm alone in the dark. I can't see. I want to see.

I crawl on my hands and knees away from the body, hot tears stinging my eyes. As I'm crawling away, I feel something grab my foot and try to pull me back. I scream at the top of my lungs.

"Let go! Don't touch me!" I kick out my other foot, but whatever has my foot, isn't letting go. I curl my body into a ball and just let myself cry. I cry so hard it makes my chest hurt.

Then I start to see light, my body flies up, my eyes shooting open and gasp loudly for air, sitting up in the chair, back in the room with Eric.

He rushes over and grabs my face in his hands. My loud sobs still coming.

"Corrine, look at me. Please, baby, it was just a sim." He tries to comfort me. I can't look at him. My hands grasp his wrists as he holds my face.

"It..so dark." I mumble. He swipes at my tears with his thumbs.

"I pulled you out. I couldn't watch it anymore." He explains. He pulls my face up to his, kissing my lips.

I hesitate against his lips for a moment, my heart trying to go back to normal. He moves them so slowly and so gently, that it's almost comforting. I grip tightly at the sleeves of his black sweater, trying to convince myself that he's real.

"It's okay. I'm here. I'll protect you." He whispers against my lips. I nod quickly and pull his lips back to mine.

Eric's lips are like home. Familiar and loving. His tongue traces patterns against mine as he pulls me closer to him.

"It was so real..it was horrible." I say when I pull away from him.

"But it wasn't. You have to remember that. You're safe. I would never let anything happen to you, understand?" He pushes my sweaty hair away from my face and helps me up from the chair.

"This part is much worse. I would rather run for five hours than do that again." I say. Eric smirks and pulls me to his chest.

"I wish that was an option. You can get through this. I know you can."

"Could I...could I stay with you tonight?" I ask, looking away from his face.

"It's really risky right now, Corrine."

"I know. I just...I don't want to be alone. Please?" The desperation in my voice is almost pathetic.

He looks over my face once more before he answers, letting out a long exasperated breath.

"All right. Make sure no one sees you. We have to be careful about this. I know Four still suspects I'm up to something." He grits his teeth at the mention of Fours name.

"I promise no one will know. I'll be careful." I lean up to kiss his cheek, but he moves so that my lips hit against his. His smile returns.

"Very smooth." I tell him.

"I thought so." He says, pressing silly wet kisses all over my face. I laugh and push against his chest.

"All right, all right, get back to work." I say, turning and putting my hand on the door knob.

"Bye, baby." He says before I open it.

I once again roll my eyes at his cheesy nickname. But what he doesn't know, is how much I like it.

I'm not looking forward to the serum showing me anymore of my fears. But if I'm able to wake up and see Eric's face each time, I might be able to survive.