10 - Just The Way You Are

Dedicated to LiL-Miss-Klutzy who made the beautiful banner in the sidebar! Thanks so much!

I also think it's hilarious that no one is Team Sean.... haha, I'm pretty sure that he'll have more hate after this chapter! :D

_____________________________________________

I didn’t think much of it until some girls on the dance team pulled me out to the middle of the field. So there I was all sweaty and gross as I heard the familiar song continue playing while everyone was staring at me.

            I looked around the entire field but nothing was happening. Why the hell was there music playing? I tried walking away but Alyssa and Tessa wagged their finger at me. I stayed put like an idiot then I saw the soccer team move out of their huddle to reveal Jace with a huge smile on his face.

            Finally the song changed turning it into something I knew very well—Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars.  He walked up to me with his arms behind his back.

            “Peyton Brandt,” He greeted when he was close enough for me to hear.

            “What are you pulling Jace Harley?” I asked while narrowing my eyes. I loved how we used first and last names sometimes.

            He walked close enough that we were only a few centimeters apart. “Turn around,” He whispered. He grabbed my shoulders and spun around me around anyways revealing the soccer team holding a huge banner that said ‘Peyton+Jace=Homecoming?’

            I felt myself growing as red as my hair and I turned back to around to see Jace on one knee with flowers in one hand and he took my hand in the other.

            “What do you say?” He asked with a smile.

            I stared at Jace like he was crazy. Did he really just go through all this trouble to ask me—his fake girlfriend—to a dance? Hell, last year Sean just asked me after a movie and I said yes. There wasn’t a big celebration or anything either… Just us.

            “Uh, yes…” I said and he put the flowers on the ground to envelop me into a huge hug. I pulled back to put on hand on his cheek and connected my lips to his. The crowd behind us cheered but did I care? No, I wasn’t listening to them.

            We pulled away from each other when the buzzer went off signaling that the second half should start. We started walking over to the bench where the soccer players were gathered into a huddle.

            “Are you sure that you want to go to homecoming with me?” I asked nervously. I really didn’t want him to miss out of his senior year fun because of me…

            “I’m one hundred percent sure. It’ll be fun, just watch.” He squeezed my hand and I left him so he could go play soccer. I went up to the bleachers with the flowers and people eyed me enviously. I sat down next to Alyssa and Tessa and looked out onto the field.

            Sean was staring at me with sadness written all over his face. I sighed and pretended to be interested in the beautiful flowers. I really didn’t want to face him now.

            They won the game one to zero so after that Dillon drove me home going way over the speed limit.

            “This party is going to be so great!” he basically screamed. “We only have two hours until people should start coming. Wear that dress you wore to that one party mom and dad dragged us to, it’s prefect.”