-Chapter 22-

I follow the path back to the mansion, clutching the dress tight to my chest. Will I look suspicious to the partygoers standing in the ballroom? I decide that that shouldn't be an issue, considering just how many times the poor servants have had to open new champagne glasses, refilling hundreds of glasses.

I walk up the front steps, holding my arm out so that they can scan my bracelet. I make sure that my new dress is covering the smudge of dirt on Lady Paula's gown, not wanting anyone to see it. Paul said that once a UCP is turned off, and turned back on, the image will restore itself to how it was when I started using it earlier today. So if anyone sees the smudge, that could be a slight problem.

"Welcome back Lady Paula," The Agent says, his hand brushing my wrist as I pull my hand away. I gulp, feeling the need to turn my UCP of as soon as possible. I don't like how everyone looks at me when I enter the ballroom. Felisha never merits that much attention, so it feels strange and foreign to me. A hand finds my elbow, and I gasp, but soon realize it is just one of Kane's men.

"Paul asked me to escort you," He says, helping me through the throng of people. The walk to the bathroom seems longer than usual, and I realize it's because I'm nervous. I do know that the Government has heard of me because it said so on the News. Did whoever saw me get a good look? Could this all be a waste of time?

My escort ushers me into the bathroom, pulling the door closed behind us. Paul is standing guard near the door, and Charlie is still sitting in the same stall, but he looks slightly better; not so pale. The only person I don't see is Kane, but soon he emerges from a stall, looking worse for wear.

"We didn't know if it was you, so we had him hide," Paul informs, pulling me over to Kane. "Are you ready?" He asks me, and I nod. The UCP was great, but after a while, the unneeded attention I got while wearing it started to grow old. Paul slips his hands behind Lady Paula's hair, and presses the UCP. I watch as my hands flicker, then soon, I recognize my own calloused hands. Paul pulls the UCP off, and puts it on the skin behind Kane's ear.

Before I even get to see them turn it on, I step into a stall, and slip off my everyday clothes, itching to try on the dress Paul let me borrow. It fits almost perfectly, being only a little too big around the bust line. It hugs my waist and hips, but not to the point where it's uncomfortable. In fact, the dress feels amazingly comfortable. A thought occurs to me, and I glance down at my feet. Just as I thought. I forgot to wear shoes. I step out into the bathroom, almost jumping when I see Lady Paula standing there.

"Wow," Charlie says, coming to stand next to me. "I think you look better than Lady Paula."

I glance in the mirror, and smile at my reflection. I do look pretty, nothing more, nothing less. My hair looks slightly wavy, which may only help the look. My lack of makeup may be an issue, but I don't dwell on the thought too much. The only major issue is my lack of shoes.

"You could use mine," Lady Paula says, and suddenly her feminine voice is funny because we all know it's Kane talking. Lady Paula's cheeks turn a light shade of pink, and her hand goes up to her UCP. She turns it off, then Kane hands me his shoes. I'm very thankful he decided to wear sandals. They go with my dress in a way. They'd go better if they weren't men's shoes, and they were a size or two smaller.

I'm thankful that the straps are adjustable, and I fit the sandals as tight to my feet as they will go. Kane chuckles, then turns on the UCP again, and Lady Paula joins us again. Looking at her now, seeing her in front of me instead of on me, I see why she drew so much attention. Her body is perfect, her dress is gorgeous, and everything about her screams femininity. I begin to laugh at that thought, but I try to cover it with a cough.

"How on earth do girls walk in heels?" Lady Paula asks, wobbling forward a little before regaining her balance. Charlie snorts, and soon Paul is laughing as well, and it doesn't take long before I can't hold back my giggles either. Kane wobbles over to me, and slaps my arm, but not hard enough to hurt.