Chapter 9

"It's all grotesque," Harry said as he and Zayn sat at barstools. "Mauling bodies like that, it gave me nightmares,"

"Plus that new Neil guy seems pretty sketchy," Zayn commented, downing a shot.

"It's Niall," Harry corrected. "And I'm surprised you-know-who didn't tell you about him,"

"She doesn't like to talk about the vampire stuff, it makes her upset cause I'm aging and she's not,"

"How's the spell coming along?"

"It drains me," Zayn wiped his brow. "Trying to create a spell that won't make you age... that's some dark magic there,"

"Is she worth it?"

"I'd do anything for her,"

Harry looked down at his drink, frowning a little. "I wish I could find something like that. I really want to find my mate,"

"They're out there," Zayn clapped Harry on the shoulder. "Don't worry about it. And once you find them, they will be the love of your life, I can feel it, mate,"

"Talking about me again?" A girl asked, sliding into the stool next to the two men. "You have got to stop bragging about me to everyone, babe,"

Zayn smiled at the blue haired girl before kissing her lips. "What are you doing here?"

"I had some free time, and a feeling that you would be here," the girl smiled. "Hello Harry,"

"Miss Ashley," Harry said politely, raising his beer to her.

"How many times do I have to tell you? It's Halsey. Call me Halsey," the girl rolled her eyes as she ordered another round of beers.

"Okay, Halsey," Harry drawled out the name "We met the old Irish geezer, Niall,"

Halsey paled, looking worriedly at Zayn. "Oh, um, yeah,"

"How come you didn't tell me Justin left?" Zayn asked quietly.

"You know I don't like talking about my bloodsucking life. I'm like at the bottom of the food chain with the vampires," Halsey took a long drink from her beer, thinking she would need as much alcohol in her system as possible if she was about to have this conversation with her boyfriend.

"You were the werewolves' only contact with the vampire side for the past year,"

"Yes, only because I've been dating you for four years," Halsey commented. "Besides, when I come over it's to like, talk to Bea about boys or talk to Shawn about girls or bail Luke out of jail, there's never time to talk about the vampire stuff,"

"But what about when we were alone?" Zayn asked softly. Harry sat there awkwardly as the couple talked.

"You help me get away from the vampire stuff, you know how I hate it," Halsey said, running her hand through Zayn's hair. "Besides, with the new positions Niall arranged I'm still like, at the bottom,"

"What position are you?"

Halsey quickly looked away. "Hey you guys wanna order food or something?"

"Hals," Zayn grabbed her hand and looked into her eyes. "Tell me,"

She sighed, playing with a loose strand of her hair. "I'm, uh-"

"Well you know she's somewhere high up cause I can feel her heartbeat going really fast," Harry commented, staring straight ahead. "From how nervous you are I'd say you're... third in command?"

"Second," Halsey muttered.

"What?" Zayn's eyes widened as he smiled. "Babe, that's huge!"

"You're not mad?" she asked, confused. "I've had this information for like, a year and you're not mad I didn't tell you?"