Chapter 12

The market was a packed collection of brightly colored tables and booths. They sprawled across the main courtyard, the same one I had exited the carriage in. No less than fourteen guards stood at the gate, watching travelers coming in and out of the aerie with goods and belongings. A harried looking youth stood with them, directing sellers to their places with a chart he clutched tightly in his hands.

I felt a tug of sympathy for the boy, it didn't look as if he chose the task for himself and he appeared miserable.

Guards lined the courtyard as well, concentrated at each of the exits that led farther into the aerie. These were not smiling, lazy warriors. Intimidating and terrifying were the words that came to my mind.

So many people crowded into the space it felt rather like the city, albeit cleaner than the areas I was used to. I found my emotions tugged back in time as I struggled to mesh the scene and events.

"Let's start there, for every day items. Then we will work our way back for intimates and ceremony dresses," Tharisa pointed to a blue painted stall with merry yellow trim. The seller was an ancient woman, shriveled and hunched with curly wires of gray hair sticking out about her head. And she was close enough that we wouldn't need to press through much of the crowd to get there.

"Are these people," I indicated the men, women and children packing the spaces between stalls, "all from the aerie?"

Tharisa chuckled as she stepped into the flow of bodies, I followed quickly, determined not to get lost or separated. I could feel the presence of Dynarys and Morkuth at our backs, far enough I was certain they were trying to afford us what privacy they could, but close enough that none could mistake their protection.

"Great Six no. As you must know, most of these vendors are from your city. The crowds often follow them. Eager for a peek at the great Dragon Lords, or the mysterious Shifters. The value of the wares provided doesn't hurt when it comes to drawing a crowd either. The aerie is rich in ways that most humans can never hope to be, even the nobles. The vendors are often presenting items that are far beyond reach of those from the city." She seemed to think for a moment, "if you'll pardon my saying," she added.

I didn't know such things, but I didn't say so.

"Lady Gayriel, I have to ask you to excuse me. I had no idea you were a delegate when I asked for you to join me yesterday. I'm afraid I caused you many problems you might not have had otherwise." Tharisa frowned and toyed with a band of silver that spiraled along her forearm. "I also said things that..." she cringed, "I probably shouldn't have."

I smiled, charmed by her abrupt honesty and friendly nature. It was a true apology and it touched me, while making me feel a little guilty for my deception.

"I hold no grudge against you," I told her. "I enjoyed your company."

Her face lit with a brilliant smile. "Ha! I knew I liked you. Come on there's some gorgeous jade lace I just spotted that you need to own."

Having regained her exuberance it was impossible not to grow fond of Tharisa. She bubbled with life, her excitement for everything overflowing and contagious. We studied the jade lace, which turned out to be the top piece of a complicated garment.

"Yes, this is perfect," Tharisa nodded, holding the lace up to my chest. "Except I can't get a good feel for sizing while you're wearing...er...that."

Right. I peeked at Dynarys, who happened to be close enough to overhear the comment. His brow raised in an I told you so expression.

"We will just have to trust that it won't be too small, if it is too large I can adjust it myself this afternoon." She turned to the seller. "We will take this green one, and," she hummed thoughtfully tapping her bottom lip. "Three of your platinum bangles, make sure to include that one there, with the hint of emerald."