21. The Other Side of Riddle

The sun was setting down behind the numerous hills surrounding Hogwarts; it was an odd winter day, the snow was ceasing to mild chilly air, and the nearby trees seemed satisfied to finally get rid of the last ounce of snow in its long branches. Five students could be seen walking toward the Headmaster's Tower, trailing behind a taller, demanding one.

Tom Riddle was leading the way, taking long elegant strides that seemed to the others, hard to keep up. Hermione looked swiftly over her shoulder as she walked, instantly regretting doing so; Abraxas Malfoy was helping Alecto as they walked, a sneer present on his face, while she gave Hermione a winning smirk. Hermione's eyes darted further behind the two Slytherins to come in contact with Cepheus's disappointed glare. Those bright green orbs were dull and his stare was too painful to endure – she felt like she had disappointed Harry, Ron, everyone. This was it. She had destroyed her mission by simply letting her emotions control her.

Hastily turning her head to look ahead, her vision was occupied by black robes and Riddle's tall figure. They turned right and arrived at the Gargoyle Corridor. The five students came to a stop, in the exact moment that Professor Albus Dumbledore was making his way down the Headmaster's office. Dumbledore looked warily at them before walking suddenly toward Riddle, who politely nodded his head, even though a small scowl could be seen in his features if closer observing.

"Evening, Tom." He said as he inspected the students around him with his blue eyes. "What are you lot doing here?"

"We wish to report an incident to Headmaster Dippet, sir." Replied Riddle crossing his hands behind his back.

"I'm afraid the Headmaster is very busy at the moment," Said Dumbledore, smiling warmly. "Perhaps I could attend to the matter?"

"I don't believe you could help, sir" said Riddle. "It's a problem that concerns the School's Headmaster only. A very serious problem. "

Riddle glanced at Hermione with narrowed eyes and a small twitch of his lips. Dumbledore followed his gaze and nodded his head understandingly. "Very well," Dumbledore turned to the Gargoyle and whispered the password.

The five students and the Transfiguration teacher walked inside the familiar office. It was the same as when she had left; Hermione noticed that some of the birthday decorations were still up, adorning the tedious shelves filled with large books and old Headmaster's biographies. Armando Dippet looked up from his parchment and set the quill on the table, before adjusting his long silver-like robes and seating neatly in his chair.

"Albus, I thought I told you I would be busy today?"

"Pardon me, Headmaster" Said Dumbledore, looking somewhat distressed. "It has come to my attention that an incident occurred in school grounds."

At these words, Dippet perked up interested, and glanced around the students suspiciously, his gaze settling on Riddle's dark eyes. "Tom! Tell me," he said. "What has happened?"

Tom took a quick glance at Hermione, who shuddered nervously and looked down at the floor, studying its patterns intensely.

"Sir, Miss Lockhart and Miss Carrow had been duelling in the corridor." Said Riddle in a somewhat calm voice. "And I believe Mr. Crux and Mr. Malfoy were involved as well."

Hermione glanced the two Slytherins who looked both angry and surprised. Hermione thought they were sure Riddle wouldn't frame them as well, for being in the same house and 'group'.

Dippet looked troubled as he eyed the four mentioned students. "Merlin's beard, children! Sixth years should know by now that any act of violence is forbidden in school grounds. I ought to give you detention for that-- "