A Huntin' We Shall Go

Gabel probably thought that Flint would cave automatically to his demand I not train. I wasn't there for the encounter, but after breakfast the next morning I felt a churning anger begin in my belly, and slid outwards like poison in my veins. It was a new sensation.

I clicked my teeth together with satisfaction. Gabel must have been fighting with Flint. From the roiling fury, he was losing.

Gabel did not like to lose. I had never felt so much anger from him. It should have frightened me, because it wasn't just anger. It was an Alpha's fury at being defied, mixed with helplessness.

I headed up the main stairwell when the patter of feet on the marble floor below took my attention. I looked down and saw one of the she-wolves, Marcy, hurrying across the floor. She grabbed the banister and swung herself around, and when our eyes met, she raced up the stairs towards me. She grabbed my elbow, "Come on, Lady!"

"What?" I tried to pull away. She tugged harder. She reeked of anxiety, so I let her hustle me up the rest of the steps, down a corridor and she yanked open a small door I had thought was a closet. It actually opened up onto a set of stairs. She pushed me onto the stairs.

I still sensed Gabel's anger, but I didn't feel like I was in immediate danger.

Marcy closed the door very carefully, and hissed at me to hurry up the steps, quietly.

The steps went up to the fourth floor. The hallway was narrow, lined with a few doors, and down the hall was another bathroom. This house had more hidden levels than a bad video game.

She pulled me down the hall to an open sitting area that had a window that overlooked the front drive.

I gave her a supsiscious look. I had seen Marcy drifting around Gardenia's little cluster of bugs. I had not exchanged more than a few words with Marcy since my arrival, so I didn't trust that Marcy hadn't been sent to me with planted gossip or was up to no good.

"Alpha Gabel was just arguing with Master Of Arms Flint," she told me in a hushed voice.

"I figured."

"He is furious." she fluttered to my shoulder and whispered this in my ear.

"I know." I didn't know why we were whispering or why she was so nervous.

"He is furious with you, Lady Gianna."

I almost corrected her for using my title, but decided not to. "He isn't going to hurt me." I tried to assure her. Not with his hands, at least. That would leave marks, and nobody would accept that. At least I didn't think they would.

"He gave ground to Flint." Marcy whispered. "Flint told him only a weak Alpha would be worried about his mate making herself strong."

My eyes widened.

If Marcy was telling the truth--which I was still doubtful of-- Flint had some balls. Two. Very large. That was the anger I had felt from Gabel. And I was sure right now he could feel my shock, astonishment and frankly, fear, even if he didn't know the exact source.

Gabel's rage frightened me. I knew he'd conjure some horrible punishment for me, and I'd have to find a way to fight back, and I didn't like the dark places I went to find a way to fight him.

Marcy, though, was pale white and quivering. Gabel's rage was enough to make the fearful, submissive wolf flee. Gabel had told me he didn't have his dalliances with the females (I suspected that rule had been broken since my arrival), and I didn't think he had physically abused them, but he still had his violent reputation.