the twenty-fourth text

9:54 am

x, i'm nervous.

 gennie you're right beside me.

i know.

do you want me to wait here, or i can come with you to the door if you'd like?

she looked up at him, gave him a smile and shook her head, "driving me here was more than enough," she paused, "thank you."

"i'm not leaving you alone-"

she reached out to touch his shoulder, "i'll be fine. it's ten o'clock, on a saturday morning, everything will be okay."

"how do you know he's awake? every normal seventeen year old i know wakes up at eleven at least," he emphasized 'normal'.

she remembered receiving text messages bright and early in the morning, regardless of it being the weekend from him. gennie chuckled, "yeah, he's kind of an early riser." 

xavier grabbed her hand, "gennie, if anything goes wrong, or he does something-"

she opened the car door and stepped outside, "okay, dad," she said rolling her eyes, teasing him.

his house wasn't too big, nor was it too small, the tree held fragile looking icicles and the snow on the driveway had not been shovelled. an average looking house, was genevieve's first impression. her second was that house lacked maintenance. as though, at one point, it may have looked lovely, though over time, the care had been lost. the shades were drawn and curtains were closed. the paint on the picket fence was chipping. she looked back at the car, parked on the side of the street and gave xavier a look. 

she pulled out her phone.

cya later x. 

you can leave now heh.

fine fine fine, bye. 

she walked towards the door slowly, ready to ring the doorbell. she looked back to see xavier driving away. she let out a breathy sigh, watching a puff of cold air escape her mouth. she stalled, standing in front of the door, ready to knock.

"it's been a few weeks," she heard a tired woman say loudly. 

"have you been counting?" he asked, "because i sure as hell haven't been."

his voice held two opposite things. anger and defeat. his voice was fuelled by his tiredness.

"marshall-" the woman said, softly.

"would you leave me alone?" his voice was sharp and even, "you don't understand, dammit," his voice echoed.

genevieve flinched.

and with that, she retreated and walked towards the park that was on the end of the street.

a u t h o r ' s n o t e :

next update in a week.