13 Senate Meeting

Jonas~~

I sit on my black throne gazing out at my cousins seated in theirs.

Gwen along with some of the sisters of the Order are present as well: Percy's sister Laasya; Analiese, Riley's sister; and Naserian, Tobais's. The first ten minutes consisted of all my cousins verbally ripping into Erik for what he pulled when he left the Estate by threatening to expose the Amoris. The ten minutes since, have been my female cousins tearing into the Order for attempting to overthrow me.

I'm exhausted to the point that I'm perfectly fine with sitting back and watching for now. Our sisters don't know Iris is in fact Expired. The less people who know the better. If it wasn't too late to convince my Order that she isn't, I would be working on that.

After fifteen minutes, I feel an inkling of pity for my Order and call for attention.

The chamber quiets immediately.

"We have to be a united front. Whether you agree or not, you will act as if you do. If anyone asks, the rest of the Order left the Estate to assist in finding Erik and Miss Levine. Erik has admitted his wrong doings, and Miss Levine's Mark was printed incorrectly. Whether you believe any of this, I couldn't care less as long as you make the Society believe that you do." I settle back in my throne and wave my hand. "You all are dismissed."

As they file out of the chamber, they bow their heads as they pass me.

I know that I should send Iris to France. They're our allies after all. They would take her in. There, she'd be away from all this. Wouldn't that be the right thing to do?

The last of my cousins exit the chamber, the doors closing behind them, and I bow my own head. Why am I finding it so hard to do the right thing? She can never be mine. So why can't I let her go?

*****

In the afternoon after we've had time to rest, I bring Iris to the cove made to be the sanctuary of the current Preeminence. Only I and whoever I invite are allowed here. I've brought her here before. Today when I asked if she wanted to join me, she changed into a pair of high wasted khaki shorts, and now as she wades into the water to reach a boulder, only her legs get wet.

After I roll up my pants, I join her on the boulder, and for a while we sit there in silence listening to the sounds of fall leaves rattling and birds chirping.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"I'm alive, aren't I?"

"Iris . . ."

She sighs. "Your family . . . the Society, I mean, hates me."

"If anyone tries to hurt you, there will be serious repercussions."

"And what are you going to say when they start asking why you care what happens to me?"

I push my feet through the cool water, creating ripples. "I don't know." I look up at her. "That friends don't let friends be tortured?"

She snorts and rubs her nose. "Tell that to Colton."

I arch a brow. "Are you two friends now?" That's something I can never imagine. Though they'd be a formidable pair.

"No, but I have a feeling that even if we were, he'd still torture me. He'd probably enjoy it."

I want to say that my brother is a good friend to have. That he's fiercely loyal and protective, but I can't. Not after he betrayed me.

"In a few days," I say, "the Society will be having a ball for Kerrie-uh. Have you celebrated it before?"

"My orphanage wasn't fond of the Society's traditions, remember?"

"In this particular case, it's a shame. It's one of my favorites." Kerrie-uh is celebrated across Elleany. For the nation, the evening festivities include masks and drinks and fake jewels. For the Society, it's a masquerade ball. Everyone wears blacks, silvers, grays, and whites, and the masks seem to shimmer like stars. The champagne is imported from Amoria, and to taste it is to feel as if you're drinking nectar from heaven. For one night it doesn't matter I'm the Preeminence. I can merely be another member of the Society once I put on a mask. Even if people recognize me, they're not allowed to treat me any differently. No bowing. No posturing. No asking for favors. "The chefs make these little cakes, and I swear they add some secret ingredient to make them better for Kerrie-uh."

"Not blondies?"

"I can arrange for that."

She smiles, laughing softly.

"What?"

"Why is it that you can only promise me sweets, and suddenly I'm prepared to withstand a horde of angry Society members just for the chance to try a new delicacy?"

"I can always send them to your room. You don't have to attend."

"It's a masquerade, right?"

I nod.

"So, I can be anyone I want? I don't have to be an Expired?"

"That's the idea."

The water shimmers underneath her, reflecting on her legs. "I'll let you know then."

Thank you for any votes or comments!

Instagram: @mikaelabender

#Bookstagram account on Instagram: @oflightsandfaeries

Twitter: @MikaelaBender

TikTok: @MikaelaBender