11: Gerard Likes Frank's Spit Almost As Much As Coffee

Even though Frank was exhausted, he couldn't seem to stay asleep for long; his mind was churning with the surplus of old memories that Billie Joe had restored to him, but most of all, it was worry that was keeping Frank awake, fear that refused to let his eyes stay closed for more than a few minutes at a time.

The words of the seventh prophecy of Joshua swirled around in Frank's head, taunting him with their obscure nature and all the what ifs they brought with them.

Nature dawns clear and bright

Two worlds separate

All starts to fall

Gold is tarnished and darkness comes

-

When gold becomes stained

Darkness hides light

One choice to make

Disaster or new life

-

Can gold reveal light

Can darkness polish gold

True love can renew all

Or destroy every living soul

-

When they unite

A chance will arise

One final stand

One sacrifice

-

Two becomes one

Or two can break

This is the end

Or is it the beginning?

So much more was clear now than it had been when Frank had first heard it, but that wasn't enough, Frank needed to know what was going to happen so he could walk into this with his eyes wide open.

It was a pointless effort though, because if anyone could unearth the prophecy's true meaning, it was Billie Joe, who wasn't here any longer, and Frank had a feeling that he would keep the information from Frank even if he did know.

And really, Frank knew enough, but that one damn line was seared behind his closed eyelids, and the implications of it were making Frank want to throw up.

One sacrifice

But maybe Frank was overreacting, maybe no one had to die, which was all he could assume the word sacrifice meant, but maybe this was his sacrifice, giving up his perfect life with Gerard to save the world, and if he made the right choice and returned to Heaven, everything would be okay in the end.

But maybe not, maybe one of them would have to give up their life, but Frank wasn't getting anywhere with this train of thought, and all he was accomplishing was to make himself sick with worry. Once he and Gerard were restored to their original states, Billie would be able to tell if either of their deaths were in the near future, Frank would just have to pry it out of him first, if he could find the courage to that is.

Exhausted with his never ending musings over the things that he couldn't change, Frank slipped out of bed cautiously, making sure not to disturb Gerard, even though he shouldn't have bothered; he could probably start jumping on the bed and Gerard would simply roll over and try to go back to sleep.

Feeling grimy from last night's escapades, Frank decided to take a shower. He still smelled slightly like vomit, and maybe the soothing sensation of water pouring down around him would help Frank relax.