Chapter 14

Dani held her breath as she listened to Genevive and Dr. Silverman.

"What are you doing here?" Dr. Meredith Silverman asked Dani, causing her to jump and the two people she was listening to suddenly stopped talking.

"I was...I had to...bathroom!" Dani said a bit too loudly. "I had to use the bathroom. Those huevos rancheros gave me bubbleguts." Dani's face burned with embarrassment. Did she just say she had bubbleguts?

"If you need something for your stomach, one of the nurses can help," the female doctor said while patting her pregnant belly.

Dani gave a terse nod before walking away from the scene that involved the two married doctors and a possible homewrecker.

She ran into Jax.

"Guess what I just saw?"

Jax shrugged, "A unicorn?"

"No."

"Big foot?"

"No! Be serious Jax."

"Okay fine...a chupacabra?"

"No. I just saw Genevive tell Dr. Silverman she's carrying his child and then his wife, walked in on them. I swear this is like a Spanish novela."

The corner of Jax's mouth lifted, "Why Dani Deleon, I never took you as a gossip."

Dani grimaced, "I'm not gossiping. I'm giving you important information in case one of these is your guy...or gal."

"Well we know the baby Callie Sommerby was carrying didn't belong to her husband. DNA ruled him out as the father."

"So many cheating men," Dani shook her head in dismay. "What if it's that Simon guy. I mean...he offered to father my child."

"He what?" Jax fumed. "I'm gonna kick his-"

"Wait a minute. What if it was that Bo guy? He seemed to know that couple pretty well. There's at least three men who could be a possible father which means three suspects."

"You mean six suspects," Jax corrected her.

"What do you mean?"

"You're forgetting the wives. They'd have a pretty strong motive to want her dead too."

"Ugh...this is too much. How do you think Tammy Owens plays in all of this. We know her baby's father was Derek. So it's not like someone would take her because of that."

"These women are pretty desperate. We've only met a few but I'm sure they'd do anything to have a baby. Even steal one," Jax said.

Dani thought of Shelly and Bo. They were a prime example of a couple desperately wanting a baby. "You're forgetting something Jax."

"What?"

"If someone like Bo or Shelly were willing to kidnap a baby why not adopt?"

"Maybe they couldn't."

"Like they have a criminal record or something?"

"Exactly. Our state only allows adoptions to couples with clean background checks. No felonies or histories with child or adult protective services. Maybe one of our couples is hiding more than we realize," Jax pulled out his phone. "I'm going to call Roberto again. You stay put. I'll be right back."

Dani nodded and leaned against the wall.

She closed her eyes and wondered how Tammy was doing.

"Ms. Deleon?" a voice asked, startling her. Dr. Bart Silverman was standing next to her, his brow furrowed and his eyes worried.

"Dr. Silverman, you scared me for a second there," Dani admitted, looking around for Jax.

"Sorry, I just wanted to make sure you understood that what Genevive Robinson said back there was a misunderstanding."

"A misunderstanding?" Dani asked.

"Right. I'm not sure what you thought you heard but whatever it was...it was probably a misunderstanding. Do you understand me?"

Dani knew better than to argue with a potential murderer or kidnapper if he had anything to do with Tammy. She tilted her head to one side, "No. Not really...but...I don't think you'd be foolish enough to get a woman like Genevive pregnant. Your personal life is none of my business Dr. Silverman. I'm just hoping that you...that you can help me and my fiance get pregnant. I could care less about any scandals that surround you." Dani hoped she sounded convincing in an indifferent way.

Dr. Silverman smiled, his green eyes lighting up. He grabbed her hands, "I love your attitude Ms. Deleon. You're right, you know. Getting pregnant while at Majestic Waters is the most important thing to focus on."

Dani tried removing her hands from his grasp without success. She could smell his cologne and minty breath, he was so close, "I'll help you in any way that I can. I'll make sure you have that baby you've always wanted Dani Deleon. I promise."

He squeezed her hands one more time before leaving her to go back to the room where all the other couples were.

Dani wiped her hands on her jeans, "That guy is creepy as fu-"

"Dani, are you ready to go back?" Jax asked, interrupting her. He slid an arm around her shoulders and she nodded.

"What did Roberto say?"

"He's going to try and figure out a way to run background checks on the couples we've met so far. You know...to see if they have any skeletons in their closets."

"And if they do? Then what?"

"Then we're that much closer to catching our perp. Hey, are you okay? You look pale. Did something happen?" Jax leaned back to look into Dani's face.

"I'm fine. I just hope we can finish up here soon. The people here all give me the creeps and as someone that can see people's nightmares...that's saying something."

Jax saw the worry in Dani's eyes and light ran his thumbs down her cheeks, "I'm sorry for putting you through this but I really appreciate your help. You know that, right?"

Dani nodded. Jax leaned in so that their foreheads were touching, "Dani, I wish you could remember what happened our first day here."

"Jax, I need to tell-" Dani started to whisper before a cackling laughter interrupted them.

"Well, well, well...aren't you two being cozy in the hallway. Simon, maybe you should take a lesson on PDA from Dani's boyfriend," Molly said with contempt.

"Fiancé," Jax corrected.

"Molly, drop it will you?" Simon sighed.

Jax glanced up at Molly and Simon. He remembered what Dani had said earlier about Simon touching her, kissing her neck, and offering to secretly be the father of her child. As if he'd ever let that happen. A boiling heat simmered within him and without asking Dani, he pulled her close. "That wasn't a public display of affection. This is."

Dani gasped before she felt Jax's lips cover hers. The last thing she saw before closing her eyes was the anger in Molly and Simon's eyes. She didn't care. She was kissing Jax Michaels...and she loved it.