2

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 2: Cute Nicknames

{D.K}

       Dakota King had never felt such a strong need to kill another vampire than she did this morning. None other than Damon Salvatore was at her porch step, a smug smile on his flattering features. "How did you find out where I lived?"

      "You have your mothers grave here from Lord knows how long ago, meaning you've lived here before. All I had to do was ask Sheriff Forbes which houses have been bought recently, then ask what name the houses were signed in. Did a bit of eating, a bit of driving, then I showed up here."

      "And that's my problem, how?" Dakota lazily asked, rubbing her tired eyes. She was still in her pajamas, but that was the least of her worries.

      Damon walked into her home, looking around curiously. "Since you nearly killed me yesterday, I decided to come find you. I don't like you, but what you did yesterday with Klaus was ballsy, and that makes me not like you, slightly less."

       Damon picked up a book off the shelf, flipping through the pages, loosing interest and putting it back. "Shouldn't you be as far away from me as possible. I stabbed you and held you to a tree."

"Believe me I know," His blue eyes bright with malice. "You ruined my shirt. But, I found forgiveness somewhere in my cold, unbeating heart." Damon stayed quiet as he sped over to Dakota and held her to the wall, brushing her messy hair off of her face. "You're so beautiful."

       Dakota smiled, resting her small hand over his. "That's so sweet of you." She twisted his arm behind him, kicking the back of his knees and sending him to the ground. "What are you really here for Damon. Huh? Revenge? I wouldn't suggest that, I'm older than you, and that means I'm much stronger."

       "I'm not trying to kill you, looks aren't all I was blessed with, I have a brain too."

       Pulling his head back by his soft black hair, exposing a perfectly shaved pale neck. "Then explain to me why you don't use it."

       "I need your help, and I didn't think you'd help me without a little bit of persuasion." Dakota didn't respond, giving Damon time to further explain himself. "Klaus wants to kill Elena so he can activate his werewolf gene."

       "I thought you said Klaus was an Original hybrid."

       Dakota tightened her grip on his hair and he spoke, his voice strained. "Technically he is, just without the werewolf benefits. He has to preform a ritual so it can be activated."

       "What exactly is this ritual?"

       "He needs a werewolf, a vampire, and the doppelgänger."

       "Elena." Dakota supplies, nodding her head and letting him go all in the same motion. Stepping over his fallen body, the older vampire sauntered into her kitchen, opening the fridge and grabbing a blood bag.

       "How did you—"

       Dakota rolled her brown eyes, swallowing the blood in her mouth and wiping her lips from the bit that dribbled down. "You're not a true vampire unless you've crossed paths with Katerina Petrova. In all honesty, when I saw Elena for the first time I was tempted to kill her for that exact reason. She's very lucky I pay attention to detail."

       "What kind of detail?" Damon helped himself to a bottle of whiskey that Dakota had on the counter.

        She passed him a glass and closed the cabinet behind herself. "Katerina would never choose you, but Elena however, was standing quite close to you and she seemed to trust you. One thing I know about Katherine, is she never trusts anyone but herself."

       "How long have you known Katherine?"

       "Long enough to know how incredibly annoying her offspring was. Nadia Petrova, I killed her of course. She was cocky and a drunk. Her looks leaned towards her mother, and she was such a promiscuous little thing."

       "Guess it wasn't just her looks that she inherited then." Damon commented, pouring himself another glass of bourbon, then closed the bottle and to another alcoholic beverage Dakota had laying around.

       "What do you need my help with, Damon?"

       "I need you to help me protect Elena, just until Klaus leaves and when he does then I'll leave you alone." He paused, sending a flirtatious smirk Dakota's way. "Unless you request my company, then I'll stay as long as you want."

       "I have conditions if I agree to this." He waved his hand at her, gesturing for her to proceed. "If it means I have to risk my life for her, sorry Damon but you're out of luck. Hiding her, I can do. But I'm not dying for her. Second, your friends can't harm me and if they do then my reaction isn't my fault. Third, when I go to the cemetery, you leave me alone. No calls, nothing."

       Damon pursed his lips, seemingly thinking over Dakota's conditions before nodding. "Sure, why not. So do we have a deal?"

       "We have a deal."

       "I hope you know I seal all of my deals with a kiss."

       Damon walked over to Dakota puckering his lips, and attempting to kiss her. Her hand shot up and received the kiss instead. "Nice try, pretty boy. Now get out of my house. You've interrupted my beauty sleep."

"But you're already so beautiful. How much more could you need?"

Dakota turned her head to meet Damon's blue eyes. "You're laying it on thick, D."

He waggled his eyebrows at her. "Have we reached that point in our friendship where we give each other cute nicknames? Can we share embarrassing human stories and gossip about cute boys?"

"Goodbye, Damon." Dakota followed behind Damon, opening the door and letting him walk out.

"See you later, sweetheart."

"Don't count on it, hotshot."