forty

Things started to change a few days later.

Camila had been outside in the cool November air, finally getting around to taking down their Halloween decorations. Presley was taking a nap, and Lauren was supposed to be on the phone with Toby going over the final touches on one of their recent projects.

The brown eyed girl was startled, however, when Lauren came barreling through the front door and onto the front porch. Camila nearly fell off the small stepladder she had been balancing on, and she quickly grabbed onto the railing to keep her footing.

"You need to come inside," Lauren looked at her with wide eyes, and an expression Camila couldn't quite read. "Now."

The younger girl grew confused, quickly hopping off of the ladder and looking at Lauren in confusion. Her wife didn't offer her an explanation, though. Before Camila could open her mouth, the green eyed girl had disappeared back into the house.

Furrowing her eyebrows together, Camila quickly tossed the decorations in her hands aside and hurried inside.

"Lo?" she called out, seeing no sign of her wife. She made her way over to the hallway and wrung out her hands nervously.

She had to cup her hands over her mouth to keep herself from gasping when Lauren quickly hopped out from behind the wall and grabbed Camila's hand.

"Shh," the raven haired girl met Camila's eyes. "Listen."

Confused but comforted by the fact that Lauren was there, Camila knelt down next to the girl in the middle of the hallway. She sent her wife a questioning look, but moments later something else caught her attention.

"Oh let me be... your teddy bear,"

Camila and Lauren exchanged glances. The smaller girl's eyebrows stitched together and she shook her head, not recognizing the voice.

"She's singing," Lauren whispered, pointing to Presley's door that was cracked open slightly.

"That is Presley?" Camila's jaw dropped open in shock, Lauren's sudden burst of energy was now making sense. The raven haired girl nodded, holding up a finger to keep Camila quiet when the tiny voice sung the same line again.

"I think I know where she got her name," Lauren spoke up after a few moments of silence, keeping her voice low and turning to Camila. "That's an Elvis song."

"Elvis Presley?" Camila raised an eyebrow and thought for a few moments. Lauren giggled softly when she saw the realization spread across her wife's face.

"Don't," Lauren quickly grabbed Camila's hand when the girl began to rise to her feet. Confused, Camila paused, turning to Lauren and tilting her head to the side.

"We shouldn't be listening," Lauren bit her lip, nodding towards the door. "She'll talk to us when she's ready, right? I... I just want to do this the right way."

"Oh," Camila whispered, gently kneeling back down. "You are right, Lo," she nodded. The brown eyed girl glanced back at Presley's door. "Do you think she hates us?"

Lauren couldn't help but laugh at Camila's question, and she shook her head. Grabbing her wife's hand, she led them both into the living room, collapsing back on the couch and pulling Camila down beside her. "Why would she hate us?"

"I-I do not know," Camila shrugged, instinctively curling up in Lauren's side. "I just... I do not want to mess up."

"Oh," Lauren nodded slowly, understanding what Camila meant. "Well, me neither. We've just got to try our best. That's all we can do."