I. Chapter 10 | Part 2 - Stone

That caught Alistair and Gunner's attention, as well as raised every eyebrow of the werewolves standing in front of him. With every pair of eyes bearing into him, he raised his chin up and locked his jaw.

Colten stared at him as if looking an extra-terrestrial in the eye—slack-jawed with his eyes bugging out.

[Are you serious about the human?] Alistair asked.

Stone mentally shushed them. [Let me enjoy this, please.]

A small grin spread across Stone's face when Colten stuttered, "H-How is that possible? Your mate died a century ago. Everyone knows that."

Stone shrugged, enjoying the sight of Colten's lower jaw hanging off its hinges. The twenty-something-year-old needed his ego knocked down a few pegs. "Perhaps the Goddess has bestowed mercy upon an old soul such as myself? How generous and loving She must be to reunite two old souls together after all these years. It's a miracle really. She deserves our praises."

"Praise the Moon Goddess," the werewolves said in unison, while Gunner and Alistair murmured the same, but in Lykostroya.

"I expect you to maintain the same level of commitment in keeping the vampires at bay from now on," Stone said, his smile fading and his tone growing serious once more. He lowered the angle of his face so that his eyes had to look up a bit, even though he was still four inches taller than the young alpha. "I won't tolerate an alpha who doesn't fulfill his duties. I expect no more issues to arise by our next meeting at the winter solstice. Until then." He dipped his head slightly before turning and leaving the werewolves to stare at his back.

Stone's oldest companions followed him into the dense forest.

[Talk to me, Stone,] Alistair said once they had shifted into their wolf forms and began the long run around the southwestern edge of the city.

Stone knew they would pester him with questions as soon as they left the North Fang Pack. Not that he had made up his mind or had answers for them about what he had said. He wanted to ruffle Colten's fur for his lewd behavior and lack of responsibility.

[There's nothing to talk about,] Stone said.

Alistair barked and playfully nipped Stone's ear. He nudged his shoulder with his own. [Come on, even I picked up on the pride in your voice. You can't fake that.]

Stone's throat rumbled in exasperation. [I was setting an example. He can't be neglecting his duties to the pack when his mate's in heat.]

[Excuses, excuses.]

[I'm with Stone on this one,] Gunner said after being silent for so long. [The human female would be in constant danger if she joined him.]

Alistair growled. [My sister's soul has been reborn againI want her in the pack.]

[She can't be part of the pack,] Stone snapped, curling his lips up in warning. [It's physically impossible. You know that.]

Alistair growled and put distance between them. Frustrated, he pulled up his mental barriers and continued to run in silence.

Brushing off Alistair's discontent, Stone continued on his way back to the pack house, keeping his thoughts to himself and trying to figure out the best course of action to take next.

He wanted to see Aubree, but he was hesitant. The more he saw her, the more he would yearn for her; it was the nature of the matebond. It would be torturous to be with her and not be intimate with her.

He reached out mentally to Gavin, who was still in the city and called him back home.

When he, Alistair, and Gunner returned to the pack house, Gavin met them there a few minutes later.