Chapter 1

"I don't get tired!" I sang away as I got my gangster on to the music playing in my room.

"The hell you don't Lies, falling asleep on the bus erry morning," my brother Damon invaded into my room saying.

"What the. Can you knock negro?" I said growing agitated by his arrival

He sucked his teeth, " girl if you dont... mama been callin' you down for the last 5 minutes straight"

I looked at him side eyed but didn't say nothing as I switched off my beats pill and proceeded to go downstairs.

"Truth, the Naomi girl that you tutoring called in and said she won't be able to make it today" my mama explained as she packed away a few groceries she had bought.

I nodded my head, " alright mama. Guess I'll just use that time to check up on that financial aid"

Yes my name was actually Truth- though my brother preferred to call me "Lies". 18 years young and just about ready for this summer (which had only just begun really) to end so I could get on my way to college!

It's not that I hated my home or anything. It's just that I was ready to finally leave New Orleans and be somewhat independent. I had been accepted to Georgia Tech on a partial scholarship, and to tell you the truth the only reason I wanted to go to school in Atlanta was for my avid hopes of one day running into the one and only August Alsina.

If anyone knew me they know I was in love with that young man. Not just for his looks though. I mean you ever thought, if I only got the chance to meet such and such a person I know we would hit it off.

I felt like August and I were very similar and if I ever got the chance to really have a conversation with him, we would hit spark a great friendship.

don't get me wrong, I'm not delusional or anything. In fact I was a very level headed young adult. I always wanted evidence or proof before agreeing that something was factual- probably why I was gonna major in pre-law at college.

************

"And you said you're name is Trudy Malone?" The advisor on the other end of the phone asked.

I sighed softly to myself, " Truth Malone"

"Ohh my bad. Well just hold on Ruth, let me look up you're file" she said

"No I said Tr-" but she had already put me on hold before I could correct her.

As I listened to the stereotypical music, I saw there was a call waiting.

I looked down and smiled when I noticed it was my cousin/ best friend Yasmine.

"Hey Yas, can I call you back? I got my college on the line" I said as soon as I answered

"Don't tell me you're still fighting to get you're name right with em "Tooth" she said chortling at a past mistake the school had made.

"Yes I am but today I'm Ruth, " I informed her.

"Well can you make your way downtown to the carnival while you're on hold? Today's the last day and I wanted to check it out," she explained

"The carnival? Really Yas?" I asked not really caring for the usual nonsense that a carnival consisted of.

"YES really, you know I'll be gone to Arizona in 2 weeks. We need to make the best of our last days together," she told me in a sad tone.

Yasmine was gonna attend University of Arizona but she was doing summers so had to leave much earlier than I did.

"You right....and I don't know how I'm gon survive Atlanta without you," I said as what she said really hit home.

"Girl don't get mushy on me just yet. Just meet me down here, I'm feening for some cotton candy right now" she said before hanging up on me.

I rolled my eyes before ending the still on hold phone call and heading for my mama's car keys.

*************************

"Finally my hitta is hereee," Yasmine yelled as I slowly made my way over to her.

"Comme des fuck down would you. Over here yelling like I'm deaf," I told her

She stuck out her mouth a little bit, " whatever. Let's go inside and check shit out"

We both spun around and gazed upon the entrance to the carnival, just taking it all in

"Alright where to first?" I asked Yasmine as she looked all around us.

"Ooo, Bottles of Beer on the wall sounds fun" she said as I looked over my shoulder at what she was pointing at.

"Alright. Let's get to it," I said leading the way....

*******
Okay this just the intro to the story.

I need a character to play Truth. If you guys have any good suggestions let me know (and please nobody light skin. No offense, but I've seen way too many AA books with light skinned girls - mind included lol)