Prologue

The lights on Privet Drive went out one by one. No one noticed, it was after midnight after all.

"Mew." A silver cat stood on the small retaining wall next to the sidewalk.

"Come now, don't be shy." An impossibly old man told the cat quietly.

The tabby morphed into an old woman, who arched a single eyebrow at the man addressing her.

"Minerva." The bearded man greeted the woman in a strange green outfit with a pointed witch's hat perched on top of her greying hair.

"Why are we here, Albus?" The woman asked.

"We will discuss this when the matter at hand arrives, Minverva."

"But the Potters, they can't possibly be-"

The old man gave her a sad look and she closed her eyes, taking a deep breath.

"We should be celebrating, not meeting on a dark street in the middle of the night."

The woman scowled at the old man as he turned to look into the sky, not responding to her.

"Albus, what-"

The abnormally loud sound of a bike revving cut her off.

A black motorbike shot out of the clouds, landing in front of the older couple. Seated on the bike was a giant of a man, holding a small bundle in his left arm. He quickly shut off the bike, probably in an attempt to keep from waking the muggles.

"'Ello, 'Eadmaster Dumbledore. Professor McGonagall."

"Hagrid." The old man greeted. "You have the package, I presume?"

"O'Course. Slept mos' of the way. Had teh get the poor kid out o' the ruins o' his own house."

"Who?" The woman seemed rather frustrated now. "I am the only person here who does not know what's going on, do explain, Albus."

Albus looked to the woman. "The boy needs to go somewhere, Minerva."

Minerva McGonagall stared at the old man in front of her.

"Surely you can't mean-"

Albus nodded.

"But she's-"

"Minerva, we need to keep him here. The curse that rebounded, it's an insurance."

"For what?"

Albus sighed. "In case the Dark Lord returns."

McGonagall arched a single eyebrow at him again. "So you're going to leave him with that horror. Albus, I've been here all day, that woman's a terror."

"It's the only way. Harry Potter will have to live with Petunia Dursley."

"Do you hear yourself, Albus? You're going to give Lily and James' and Sirius' and Remus' and Peter's kid to who?!"

"His aunt Petunia. It is the only way to keep him safe and ensure that he will not get a big head...Why do you say he's the child of all those names."

"I wonder..." McGonagall said sarcastically. "The Marauders are practically his family. Sirius is his godfather, by the way, Hagrid, isn't that his bike?"

"It'd be Black's yeh. Tole me he wouldn't be needin' it. Can't imagine why though, the man loves his li'le toy."

McGonagall frowned at the bike, then turned back to Dumbledore. "Remus is like a second father to the boy and Peter could be one too. You are not going to give that sweet little baby who has had a lovely family for all of his short life and give him to that awful family. They'd abuse him to no end, I'm sure of it!"

Dumbledore rubbed his forehead with one hand, accepting the still sleeping baby from Hagrid.

"Thank you." He told the half-giant, who nodded and took off on the bike.

"Albus I will not allow you to leave that boy at that home. If it's the protection that you're concerned about, I can fix that easily when it's needed."

"Minerva." Albus showed the first sign of irritation now. "He has to stay here. It will keep him from becoming pampered or growing a big head. It's absolutely necessarily that he stays here with part of his family."

"Fine, you want him to grow up without being pampered or revered? Give him here." The old professor stretched her hands out to take the baby.

Dumbledore stared at her. "I'm sorry?"

"You heard me, Albus. Give me the child, I'LL raise him."

[A/N yeah I have no clue how to do Hagrid's voice guys, sorry. I'm doing traditional chapter titles for this one okay? Okay.]