Chapter 3

The lectures were over for the day and Nandini, Nishi and Vrinda were on their way back home, walking slowly towards the place where Nandini's cycle and Nishi's car were parked. Vrinda travelled with Nishi in the car, as their houses were close to each others.

Nishi's cell phone rang. She looked at the number and told Nandini, "It's your mother," and then answered it.

"Hello...hi aunty! How are you...I'm fine. Yes, we both will come to visit soon. And we'll stay over too. She is with me...yes, just a minute, aunty."

Nishi handed the phone to Nandini.

Nandini took the phone, a little mystified. It was her daily practice to call up her mother in the afternoon from the public phone in the college, just to know - and let her know - that all was fine.  Her mom didn't usually call on her friend's cell phones as she felt she would troubling them unnecessarily, even though they had assured her numerous times that her calls were always welcome.

"Hi maa, is everything okay?" Nandini asked, feeling worried.

"Nandini, Garewal uncle had called. He is in town for the day and is coming over to visit," her mom said happily.

"He is?" Nandini squealed in excitement. "Don't let him leave until I reach home," she instructed her mother urgently.

"You don't need to worry about that," her mother said laughing, "He has said he won't move an inch from here until you serve him lunch, dessert and evening tea."

"I'll be there in half an hour," Nandini said. She cut the call and handed the phone back to Nishi, and told them both hurriedly why she had to rush. She ran to her bicycle and set off, thrilled about the prospect of meeting one of her favourite people after a long time.

Rajesh Garewal had been Shamli's biggest and richest businessman. He'd had very good political connections too. He had also been among her father's closest childhood friends. The families had always been close, but when the Garewals had remained childless after many years of marriage, he and his wife had become even more attached to Nandini and Prakash. 

They had moved out of Shamli to a big city two years ago. But even after the shift, they kept in constant touch through the phone. Nandini wondered what business had brought him to Shamli for such a short visit.

*******************

Nandini hurriedly got off the cycle, parked it by the side of the house and rushed into the house. Rajesh Garewal had been sitting on the sofa in the drawing room, Prakash by his side, chatting with her grandfather about the city and his business. The second he heard the sound of the gate opening, his face lit up. He immediately stood up and walked over to the door to meet her midway. His face split into a wide smile when he saw her. Nandini almost ran to him. She touched his feet, and he gave her a one-armed hug. The rest of the afternoon passed in a happy flash.

After lunch, they all sat together in the veranda.  Rajesh was seated on the sofa, Bhoothnath in his favourite armchair and Sarojini was standing next to the chair. Nandini was sitting cross legged on a straw mat in front of the sofa, with her right arm around her little brother's shoulder.

Everyone was somber because Rajesh had just told them he and his wife were flying to the US for three years to advance his business. Nandini was most disappointed of all, but tried to pretend that she was glad for him because she could tell that he was feeling guilty about it.

"But there is a good news too," he added hurriedly. "I have found tenants for Ayodhya" he smiled, referring to the big house adjoining theirs which also belonged to their family.

Nandini exchanged joyful looks with her mother and grandfather. They had been trying to find someone to rent it for years now; the money, however little, would be really useful.

"Sumer Singh, a close friend of mine. He and his nephew need to move to Shamli for a year or two....and I suggested this place. I've known Sumer for a couple of years now and you will not find a more decent and respectable family," he declared.

"When are they coming?" Sarojini asked anxiously.

Rajesh looked a little guilty as he said, "They will arrive the day after tomorrow."

"So soon," Sarojini said, worried. "We need to tidy up that house immediately. We haven't cleaned it in a month or two."

"Don't worry, maa," Nandini said reassuringly. "I'll call Vrinda and Nishi home tomorrow and we three will clean it up. And this hero will help too," she added, indicating Prakash.

"I will?" Prakash asked, horrified, and was answered by a firm nod from Nandini.

Rajesh continued with the details. "Sumer was with the armed forces. He has retired now.  But they belong to an old and wealthy family. The boy is very advanced in his studies for his age. Some kind of genius apparently. He is just 19 but has already completed his masters, and is studying further."

"What happened to the boy's parents," Bhoothnath asked.

"They died when he was a child. Sumer has brought him up. They don't have anyone else as family."

"The poor child," Saroini exclaimed sorrowfully. Nandini looked at the stricken look on her mother's face and knew that she was already preparing to smother the orphaned boy with motherly affection.

Rajesh also apparently came to same conclusion and seemed to become a little alarmed. "You don't need to feel so bad, bhabhiji. He led a happy and secure childhood on the whole. He is just 19, but is already very confident and capable."

"But he must surely miss a grandfather's love," Bhoothnath said. "The unfortunate fellow has missed all the story telling that only a grandparent can do."