Chapter 57

Please listen to the song...it doesn't really have any relevance to the story...but if you actually listen to the lyrics, they're amazing :)

Chapter 57

 Shannon’s P.O.V:

I quickly surveyed my room; double-checking that I hadn’t forgotten anything. My phone lit up and Mark’s name flashed across the screen. I ignored it, throwing the still-ringing phone into my bag.

I paused, going to check the mirror once. Good, it wasn’t too obvious that I’d been crying.

Flicking off the lights behind me, I stepped out of the apartment and began walking. I headed in the general direction of the college gates. I walked at a brisk pace, my shoulders tense.

I wasn’t sure how long Nick would stay out; I just knew I didn’t want to be there when he got home.

I pulled my hood up and kept my head down, not making eye contact with anybody I passed.

Mark’s P.O.V:

It could only have been twenty minutes since he left when Nick rang. I answered immediately, wondering why he was calling so soon. Had Shannon locked him out or something?

“She’s gone” he rushed out anxiously, by way of hello.

“What do you mean she’s gone?” I asked, sitting up straight.

“I mean she’s not here. All the lights were off when I came in, she’s not picking up her phone and…” He stopped abruptly.

“And…?” I asked.

“My stuff” was all he said; his voice hoarse.

When he didn’t elaborate, I stood up.

“I’m coming over” I told him. “And I’ll call Jay. See if he’s heard from her. There aren’t many places she can go.”

I hung up and immediately dialled Jay’s number as I headed for the door; refusing to look down at Lee’s still form.

Shannon’s P.O.V:

I heard my phone ring again but I ignored it. Instead I raised my hand to knock on the door in front of me. I was surprised I’d made it here so soon.

The door opened less than a minute later and Nikki took one look at me before stepping back to let me in; a concerned look on her face. “What’s wrong?” she asked as she closed the door behind me.

I dropped my bag and sat down on the nearest chair. I’d never been to Nikki’s apartment before.

It was bigger than the one I shared with Nick, and definitely had nicer décor. The apartment was situated about ten minutes away from college in a nice enough building in the middle of the city. I knew Nikki lived with two other girls but I’d never met them.

I finally turned to look at her. She was sitting cross-legged in the centre of the couch, watching me silently; waiting.