2

Toya

My mind ran non-stop as I groaned from a long night of no sleep. All that I could think about is, how was I going to pay all these bills, and still have food on the table. I grabbed my small flip phone and looked at the time.

I climbed out of bed and went to my small bag in the corner of the room. I didn't have a closet, and I barely had a living room. I grabbed my shirt, and black shorts for work and changed into them quickly.

I slid on my only pair of worn-down tennis shoes and grabbed my purse, phone, and house keys. I left the small apartment and walked to the nearest bus stop.

Since I didn't have a car, I had to take the bus. And I not having money to pay cab fees, the bus has been my best friend. Not too long later the bus pulled up and I climbed on. It wasn't very busy at this time of night. The only people on the bus was an elderly woman who looked as if she had been through many hardships. And a mother with her small child who looked no older than 4 years old. Her eyes were full of fright, and her cheekbones where evident as if she hadn't eaten in days or even weeks. 

It seemed like everyone was struggling, and I knew that I probably will deal with this for the rest of my life.

The bus came to a halt and I looked outside seeing it was my destination. I grabbed my belongings and got off waving goodbye to the driver on my way out.

I walked into the buildings, the thumping of the music rang through my ears. I greeted everyone as I headed to the bar for my shift.

"Hey, Toya."

I looked over to see one of my close girlfriends Jasmine serving a drink.

"Hey. What's up?" I asked clocking in and tying my apron around my waist.

" Nothing much. We got a busy night." She shook her head as she poured a row of shots.

"I see. Is there a party or something?"

"Nope. Just the midnight rush." She replied.

I nodded as a customer came and sat down.

"Hi what can I get for you?" I asked the woman in front of me.

"Can I get a margarita? And make is strong." The woman sighed and ran her fingers through her golden locks.

I proceeded to make her drink and then placed it in front of her. She muttered,"Thank you," and gulped it down.

For the rest of the night I made and poured drinks too the crowd of young adults and middle-aged men, who constantly hit on me. While doing that I continuously poured drinks to the blonde woman who seemed to slowly become intoxicated.

By the end of my shift, the woman was completely out of it and had no recollection of her surroundings.

"Excuse me. Do you need help?" I asked her softly as she swayed trying to catch her footing.

"No, I'm fine." She slurred as she almost fell over.

"Can I at least call someone to come get you?" I asked pulling my purse closer to my shoulder.

"Can you call Gabriel? He will come to get me." She asked flinging her phone in my direction.

I grabbed it from her hands and dialed this Gabriel.

"What do you want Kristen?" A husky voice answered on the other line.

I cleared my throat nervously," Hi, I have a woman here at Buddy's Bar, who I'm guessing the name is  Kristen. She told me to call you. We are closing and we're the only two left here. I need someone to come get her because she is too intoxicate to drive."