Chapter 14~The Monster Within

Hello again my lovelies! Thanks for hanging in there while I take a quite a bit to write! I decided to just write a chapter every time I feel like it or I have an idea. So I'll take off the ON HOLD thing but know that I won't have a schedule of when I'm updating :/ Ya sorry about that... But here ya go! Also, I'm trying a new point of view, so let me know what you think! Yay! Have a wonderful day/night!

As Evelyn walked into the secluded concrete room, she noticed three snow white mannequins standing in a row at the other end.

"So what kind of training did you have in mind?" Evelyn inquired, staring quizzically at the still white bodies at the other end of the room.

Charles folded his arms together, suddenly feeling rather cold being in her presence.

"Just conjure up any ice that you can, and aim it at the middle mannequin" he explained.

Evelyn nodded in understanding, and peeled the silk white gloves off her hands, revealing the large snow-like tattoo on her hand. She reached her tattooed arm out towards the middle person. Concentrating on the tingling feeling flowing through her arm, Evelyn closed her sapphire eyes. She could feel the familiar cold spreading, but something felt off. After doing this many times, Evelyn had memorized every feeling, every sense when she used her powers. But what she felt now felt much different, something that made her feel like she could spread her powers even father than her own self.

A gasp from beside her made Evelyn's paranoia finally open her eyes. Her tattoo had spread all over her like always, but the frost that was growing around her hands was now spreading from her feet to every corner of the concrete room. It was something she had never felt anything like before in all the years of being experimented on. It was almost if, all the happiness and liveliness in the room had somehow, evaporated. But the more and more it felt like it was disappearing, the larger the ice around her arm had become, and more frost spread around the room. Evelyn turned to Charles, only to see him crumbling to the floor.

"Charles?! What's happening!?" She yelled frantically, sounding more frightened than she intended.

She hesitantly brought her ice covered arm to her face, only to come face-to-face with a reflection she didn't recognize. The once platinum blonde hair with mysterious azure tips, had now become a pure ghostly white. But that wasn't what scared Evelyn the most. What was the most horrifying of it all, was the pure black demonic eyes staring back. There were no sapphire gems set in the middle of a white backdrop. There was only an empty, cold black.

For the first time since Evelyn was a child, she was genuinely terrified. Her once cool and smooth facade had faded away, replacing it with pure terror.

But the ice didn't stop growing. Charles now lay crumpled on the floor.

Evelyn was frantic, thinking of anything to make it stop, or some sort of explanation. She held out her tattooed hand and with all her might, screamed, "STOP!"

The giant shard of ice shot out from Evelyn's hand, hitting the mannequin and destroying it upon impact. The ice stopped spreading and flowed back to her frozen feet. The feeling of life came back slowly but surely, and Evelyn could sense herself becoming normal again.

Charles gasped, as if he was catching a breath he didn't know he was holding. He shaking stood up, Evelyn watching his every move, as if making sure he was truly alive.

Charles looked up at her, a horrified look in his eyes. Evelyn didn't need to see anything more. This act had shown her the monster within herself, and it terrified her.

She swiftly turned on her heel, practically sprinting towards the exit of the shelter-but wasn't quick enough. Her wrists were quickly pinned to the concrete wall. Evelyn obviously knew who it was, but didn't want to deal with him at the moment.

"Dammit Charles! Let me go!" She demanded, fighting to get out of his grasp.

His unnatural blue eyes no longer held terror, but sympathy and determination.

"No Evelyn. You need to stop believing your the monster you think you are! Your powers only become more dangerous the more your afraid of them and yourself!" Charles protested.

Evelyn felt defeated as she hung her head low, not able to meet his gaze. Of course it was all true, but she could never admit to that.

"You saw what I did Charles! You saw what I became!" She emphasized through gnashed teeth.

Evelyn could feel Charles' tight grip around her wrists loosen. And she finally had enough strength in her to meet his intense gaze once more. His eyes were much more sympathetic now, but also shone with a kindness and compassion Evelyn had never known.

"It's not what you are that makes who you are Evelyn, it's the choices we make that make us who we truly are." Charles said, only slightly above a whisper.

Evelyn had never seen Charles like this before. So philosophical and acting like he honestly cared for her. The air between them silenced. All that could be heard was the slowing of breathing and the unreeling of tension.

The gap between them became unknowingly smaller and smaller.

"Charles-" but Evelyn's words were silenced by the soft tantalizing lips of the one person she's hated for days.

A sudden burst of warmth enveloped Evelyn as she felt a rush of butterflies in her chest. A million thoughts ran through her head. Should she stop? Should she push him away and run? Quickly and surprisingly pushing away all of her thoughts, she just did what felt right. Kissing him back softly, their lips moved together in a sweet, gentle kiss. Without thinking, Evelyn took her wrists out of his grip and wrapped them around Charles' neck.

Their lips soon moved together faster and faster, their breathes becoming more and more erratic. She ran her hands through his luscious brown locks that were just begging to be touched. 

CRACK

A sudden 'crack' emitted from Evelyn's chest, immediately bringing her back down to earth, realizing what was happening. She jumped back in surprise, her breathing shaky and uneven. Evelyn stared up at Charles in complete and utter shock. Without another word, she ran out of the shelter door.

"Evelyn wait-!" Charles begged.

But it was too late. She was already gone.