Chapter Forty-Five ۞ Sudden Engagement

Lord Aeron had that creepy grin on his face ever since a while ago. Valeriana was starting to feel cautious of however the wheels inside his head were turning. Whatever he had been thinking, it was a sure thing that it wouldn't be a good thing. The scheming man was probably scheming once more. Whatever he was scheming, on the other hand, the girl did not like to know.

Corvan and his companion proceeded to occupy a vacant table, just a few steps away from where they were. They both seemed unaware of their presence. Corvan had his back against Valeriana while the strange girl faced him. She could've sworn she glanced her way, her eyes possessing a strange glint.

The stranger was a peerless beauty. Fair skin with cat-like amber eyes emphasized by a thick line of kohl and her long lashes. She had silken, soft hair the color of ochre which she had put up into a complicated updo. The curls rested in soft folds at the back of her head, with intricate ornaments pinning them in place. Her nose was straight, a bit upturned, and her lips were painted a bold shade of red.

Valeriana could not help but envy the girl. She was so beautiful it was illegal. The current fifth-ranker consciously patted down the messy hair she had put up in its usual ponytail. She was sure some of it had strays flying up in all sorts of directions.

Yanking herself out from the rush of insecurities which had been bothering her a lot lately, she tried to focus on the matter at hand and talk to the Court Leader seriously.

"Anyhow, Lord Aeron." Valeriana surreptitiously swallowed the chunk of water that had pooled inside her mouth, her eyes darting to meet his glinting ones. "I can't not tell the Twelve about this. They look forward to helping as much as I do. This involves us a lot than you, Headmaster Kylon, and the others think."

"No. We perfectly understand." He countered, throwing a short wave of refusal in the air. "You kids caught on this problem first compared to the Celestial Knights, but it does not remove the fact that this is beyond what you can handle. Speaking strictly professionally, we acknowledge your efforts and skills, but we prefer you stay out of this."

"You can't tell us that." Valeriana argued.

"Then give me a good reason." He challenged her. "You lot's rebellious nature have been getting out of hand, lately. Though you say you've handled the problem in Preluresia quite well, there were still some dire situations you have failed to handle properly, some of which could've been fatal."

His voice had grown serious it instilled fear into Valeriana. His eyes, not to mention, were set ablaze. His lips were pressed into a thin line, hiding his teeth. The neutral form of his face made his age not too evident. In fact, the expression he had on was very unlikely and unusual for him to sport.

"I have received a report from a certain Knight."

Could be Laz, Valeriana guessed.

"You were put to sleep after a surge of demonic energy, which some of you were not immune to."

"It was part of the plan." She reasoned out.

"And you believed that?" The Lord pressed firmly. "You have been told that because Charles is very clever. He knows some things may not go as expected, so he always shows as though things are always under control, when, in fact, the reality is that he himself only tries to make do with what he has to counter whatever's thrown at him. I have been there, my dear, I know all too well how it is."

"Charles is . . . ?"

"Is not as invincible as you think. He may have all of you fooled but he cannot fool me. Strategizing is a game of risks. Charles loves to play with things that seem impossible to accomplish. He likes to make a laughter out of things which seem drastic, which makes him cunning."