Unraveling.

×××

'Very well, little girl, have it your way.' She sighed, as though she felt sorry for me. It was then that I noticed her voice was slightly accented.

Was she of Russian decent? Interesting.

'Didn't you see what I did to your friends?' I teased, pointing to the two unconscious men behind her.

'Sweetheart, I assure you, I am nothing,' she paused, 'like my associates.'

Three seconds later I found that she was right, because in the blink of an eye she was in front of me, her sword now dangerously close to my neck.

Acting on instinct I spun my body to the right, wielding my scimitar in a reverse grip. I deflected the swipe of her sword before it could cut skin.

I'll give her credit. She's fast, but I'm faster.

Not giving her any chance to recover her attacking position, I flipped over her and kicked her in the back, making lurch forward and lose her footing.

I slashed for her neck, wanting to end this quickly, but she took advantage of her position and retaliated in swift set of motions. Placing her right foot behind her left she spun on her heel, blocking my sword with hers.

I pressed forward but she didn't budge.

We were at a standstill.

Things just got harder.

'You,' I grunted and added more force to her sword, 'are starting to annoy me...'

As though preplanned, we both jumped back-me to towards the right and her to the left.

She stood up slowly. 'This just became more interesting.'

Pulling out her gun, she clicked off the safety. 'Bang.' She said and pressed the trigger...fifteen times.

As much as I loved the gun-and its 381 meter per second muzzle velocity. Getting hit by it's bullet was definitely not on my bucket list. Besides, I was more of a Taurus type of gal.

Running forwards, I blocked the onslaught of ammunition with the side of my sword. It was a way better move than trying to cut the bullets, trust me. Once I got close enough I cut off the barrel of the pesky little, firearm.

She jumped back, her long range weapon now disarmed. I smirked, she probably hadn't expected that.

She looked at me, something I could not discern blazing in her eyes. 'You are good for someone so inexperienced.'

'I have plenty of experience.' I quipped, pointing the tip of my sword in her direction. Age was just a number after all.

Our eyes met, a brief connection made and a message passed through. Neither of us was leaving this place. One of us was going to die.

'May the best man win.'

There were no more words to speak so we charged, swords aimed at the other's heart.

I feigned a stab and she moved to block it. I could see it in her eyes, she knew it too late. I thrusted my sword and pierced into her stomach.

She lurched forward on my weapon as I twisted it, watching blood dribble down her jaw.

I walked forward pulling my sword out, and she fell to the floor. Turning around to face her, I stared down at my scimitar, the silver blade glowing eerily in the red blood that now coated it.

'I am honored to have been conquered by a worthy adversary.' She spoke up, the light in her eyes dimming with every word.

Setting down my sword, I knelt beside her and took her hand, suddenly feeling emotional. No one deserved to die alone.