Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"Okay guys you all know the drill! Run around the court 3 times. Now GO!"  Coach Stanler yells as we all start making our way around the court.  Samuel sits on the side of the court with his phone out per usual, while Danny makes his way to my side and slows his pace as he syncs his steps with mine.

"Hey." He says as we round the corner and overlap some kid. 

"Hey!  Umm thanks for asking the coach if I could train."  I say gratefully through scattered breaths. 

"I didn't;   Samuel did."   He replies and laughs like it's meant to be obvious.

"Oh." I look over at Samuel who meets my gaze before diverting it back to the ground.  As we finish our jog and make our way to the middle of the court, coach drags over the basketball rack.

"Okay let's partner y'all up!"  Coach yells as multiple sighs emerg from the team. 

"Justin you go with Brad
Braden you go with Jacob
Danny you go with Hansel
Joseph you go with Ethan
And Mercury you go with Jason.
Practice slam dunks while I go get a coffee."  Danny seems almost disappointed that we aren't together.

Jason walks to get a ball and comes back with an emotionless look on his face. "This way."  He commands as he makes his way towards a nearby hoop.  He shoots.  Misses.  Shoots.  Misses. Shoots....and unsurprisingly misses once again.  I retrieve the ball as he shoots and it rebound off the hoop and starts rolling away.  I walk up to the 3 pointer line, take a breath before I jump off the ground, flick my wrist and release the ball.  Jason's eyes follow the ball and I notice his pupils widen as the ball passes through the hoop and his jaw drops - only to snap closed again as he plasters the blank expression on his face - trying unsuccessfully to hide his clearly impressed expression.

He gets the ball and I watch as he completely misses again.  The ball doesn't even go near the hoop;  it just flies straight up before cascading back to the ground, it legitimately made no distance at all.

"You should torque your wrist more."  I critique as I feel him direct a glare at me.  I start torquing my wrist like the way I shoot, and he mimics me as he starts turning his wrist in his hand while he looks at the hoop.  I watch him release the ball and it go through the hoop - effortlessly.

"Good shot!"  I scream out in excitement. 

"Thanks."  He said with gratitude, but this time he makes no attempt to hide his smile.  "It's all in the wrist."  

We shoot continuously until coach comes back with a mug in his hand.  He scans over his class and notices two consecutive shots go in from Jason.  "Nice shooting Jason!" Coach compliments, attracting the attention of the rest of the class who look at him as she shoots and lands another one.

**********

"Okay you little rascals, off to get changed."  Coach yells as he scrolls through his phone, I make my way to the changing room with Jason close behind, a smile of thanks shared between us in a silent exchange of gratitude.

I get changed quickly and meet Samuel at the front door. "Hey um why did you tell me it was Danny who convinced coach that I could play?" I question as we make our way onto the footpath. 

"Oh ummm... Did I?  I must of mixed up my sentences."  Samuel bluffs as he scratches the back of his head.

"Well thanks anyways."  It's a short and silent walk home.  As we make our way through the front door we saw a yellow post it note on the fridge.

"Hey boys.  Sorry there's been an emergency meeting called in L.A. because the stock market has just crashed.  Me and Frank won't be home until Saturday morning. See you then and make yourselves some Dinner.

P.S. No parties.
P.S.S. NO PARTIES
P.S.S.S. NO PARTIES SAMUEL OR YOU CAN LIVE IN THE SHED!!!!!!

- Love Catherine"

It says as I make my way to the fridge.  "What do you want to eat?" I call to him while gazing through the fridge shelves.

"Pancakes?"   He asks.  

"Perfect!" I responded as I pull some eggs out of the fridge and start to gather all of my ingredients.

**********

Somewhere between mixing the ingredients and the smoke alarms going off, I poured over the pancake mixture and spilled a bag of flour all over the floor.

"Fuck my life."  I say as I watch Samuel  laugh on the floor getting flour and mixture all through his clothes and hair.

A/N

Heyo, what's up, how was your day?  What'd you think of the chapter?

Vote/Follow/Comment

:-)

Date edited:  13/2/18 10:11 pm

-YOP