Chapter 27 - Metta Possessed

Simone sat mesmerised as the Samhain ceremony began. With a flash, five Fire Years dressed in phoenix-plumed leotards tumbled from the top of the tent, unravelling on red, orange and yellow ribbons that burst into flame behind them.

An orchestra wielding strange instruments started playing wildly beneath them. Some Simone recognised, others were bloated organic shapes with multiple tubes for blowing and pressing or mandolins with strings that dissolved wetly or hissed steam. The Fire Years hung suspended, the ribbons burning above them, twisting their bodies into impossible shapes. With each new position, the glowing orbs of lights hovering in the corners of the tent tent changed colour.

"The better the performance, the higher the tribute to the Goddess," murmured Alexia. "One day we're going to do something like this."

The fire display ended in a rain of blue sparks and swirling green smoke that turned into ten small tornadoes made of water spouts. The spouts evaporated, revealing Water Years that looked as if they were literally clad in water. Their cobalt robes reminded Simone uncomfortably of the bath house incident and flowed around them liquidly as they performed an hypnotic, swaying belly dance.

The night only got stranger, with smells both spicy and sweet, body painted priestesses standing astride racing sabre-toothed tigers, snake women, a terrifying play about the Age of the Dragon and a welcoming speech from the Principal and Royal Family. Simone seared her eyes for a glimpse of her mother but couldn't pick her out amongst the masked figures on the dais.

Halfway through, Simone felt heat against her chest and clutched at her buzzing amulet. She'd almost forgotten it was there, slung around her neck on its thin silver cord. After a quick glance to see Alexia and Due were still riveted by the performance, she slipped it out and checked it.

Meet me during the interval. Snake altar.

There was only one person who could have sent the message, Amira.

There was so much noise and activity as the priestesses milled around the now closed tent that Simone was worried she wouldn't spot Amira or that her clutchmates would follow her.

"Good. You received my message."

Amira had an annoying habit of sneaking up on Simone and scaring her half to death.

"Yes. Am I leaving now?"

Amira laughed. "Tsk, tsk, always so impatient little Simone. Not yet. I have to tell you what the price is first."

"But I thought you said you'd help me, that you spoke to your..."

"Hush. Of course I'm helping you but I can't control what the Guild of Destroyers wants from you in exchange, now can I?"

"What do they want?"

"Blood. A life. And a half life."

"They want me to kill someone?" Simone almost yelled.

"Shut up Simone." Amira looked dangerous. "You are the Sarsaura. Haven't you wondered why you can't keep up at Sanctuary? Why you seem so... useless? You awakened your power when your own blood spilt. To truly claim it you need to make a sacrifice to BastBula, to spill the blood of another in her name."

"You mean Joli don't you? I won't do it."

"No, your clutchmate is safe, although it would be easier. She doesn't look like she's long for this world."

"Amira!" Simone was shocked.

"It's true. If you're going to be a warrior you need to start thinking like one. This is bigger than you."