Chapter 28 - Coven: Isle of BastBula

In the Copse of Charred Souls there were no witnesses to bear evidence for the missing Diplomat other than the petrified bodies, mouths open in a permanent and silent cry of injustice.

The thirteen stone pillars shimmered into existence, the giant seated statues ready to record the thoughts and feelings of the custodians. Again, only twelve warm bodies took their place upon the statues' hard laps.

The Principal spoke in their layered voice, "Deputy, you finally joined us on Metta. Explain your absence prior."

Amira levelly met each and every coven members' gaze. "My apologies. The Diplomat forbade me to attend."

The air seemed to hum with unspoken thoughts, greedily sucked up by the Watchers.

"Why?"

"If I was here she couldn't lay blame for the Sarsaura at my feet."

The Hearth Mother cleared her throat then spoke. "I don't believe she did."

"My absence confirmed it."

"Really?" The Hearth Mother looked stern.

The Executioner spoke next: "Where is the Diplomat now?"

"I believe she has abdicated her position in shame. This wouldn't be the first time the Diplomat has been guided by her heart instead of the Goddess or the rule of Sanctuary." There, Amira thought. That was deftly done.

Lady Godiva broke from her role of Principal and leant forward, a hungry expression on her face. "Do you mean to tell us that you are proposing to take over the custodianship of the Diplomat?"

"If that is the will of the Goddess."

"This is most unorthodox. The Diplomat should at least be given the chance..."

The Wise Woman was interrupted by the Executioner. "If she was here, she would be. The Diplomat is one of the five headmistresses of Sanctuary. She has duties. Where was she on Metta? Why isn't she here or left a message to excuse herself? Her own deputy doesn't support her."

Amira looked modestly at her feet.

"Perhaps her deputy has her own agenda." The Hearth Mother spoke quietly but her stern voice carried.

Amira could feel her face twist ever so slightly. Thank goodness she was looking at her feet. Once she was in place, she must definitely do something about the Hearth Mother.

The Principal overrode her. "But these are unprecedented times. Perhaps it is time for a vote. Shall the Diplomat's Deputy move up?" Slowly hands went up, two, then four, then seven. With a total count of nine in support, Amira stood up and glided to the seat of the Diplomat.

She sat gingerly between the statue's cupped hands. Finally, the innermost council of Lady Elizabeth Kjallman and all those before her would be hers. Amira closed her dark blue eyes and heard voices clamouring for attention. So hum. Methodically, she tuned them all out, leaving Elizabeth's secrets bared.

The bickering of the council made it hard to concentrate. Amira felt like a magpie who had stolen a bumper crop of shiny jewellery and was being forced to guard it from the other magpies. They just didn't shut up.

"I'm not convinced. If the girl was the Sarsaura, we would see results in class."

"Her clutch shows promise."

"Please, not nearly enough. What is that group even doing there? Other than Alexia and possibly Bloduewedd the rest are barely scraping by."

"A decision was made to send them, so we could find out if she truly was the Sarsaura."

"Pardon? A decision made by whom?"

"Never mind that, if the girl was the Sarsaura, the Goddess would have claimed her by now. If she can't be reached when the veil is this thin, she'll never be."

Amira paid attention to that. Her plans depended on the council and everyone at Sanctuary believing Simone was possessed and doing the will of BastBula.

"Excuse me," she cleared her throat loudly. "I believe my fellow council members are misled. Simone was claimed by the Goddess late last night. Admittedly this is not as soon as was expected but who can presume to know why the Goddess chose her at this stage? If you check, you'll see she has been missing from Mettan morning prayers."

Simone may not be doing the direct will of BastBula but she was doing Amira's and as far as the new Diplomat was concerned, that was close enough.