Jem: First Dates (edited)

Chapter 32

Chapter 32

First Dates

Jem

"We better not-" Ellis retreated, breaking the kiss for the want of air, panting heavily as her hands gently pressed against my chest. Her flowery soft hands so near from my throbbing heart caused a spark of primitive excitement to flutter inside my stomach. There was it. The feeling when you know something was about to happen was beating hard in my heart, harder than the rough gasps I was trying to stifle.

"Yeah," I mumbled, lips ascending away from hers. In the blackout drunk darkness, I couldn't see anything. Only vague outlines and silhouettes and hear Ellis's rhythmic breathing, which was only audible from the left side, fast and alive from our rough kiss, though slowing quite rapidly, from the stalwartly steady inhales and sweet releases, distilling. It was alive. She was alive.

"We should probably go out," Ellis said, jolting out of her seat. She guided her hand over to the car door, fingers brushing on the handle, indicating that I should probably unlock the car. I did, we clambered out together in relative awkwardness and entered the diner together.

-

Ellis and I settled on the debate of ordering two burgers, two fries and two cokes for Dinner. When we sat in our questionably hygienic restaurant booth with our trays steaming with the food, hot out of the pan, I instantly uncorked the flask and spilt the sour whiskey into my coke. I can't handle this sober. 

Funnily enough, I wasn't the only one who was riding the same train of thoughts. Ellis' hands shook as she pulled the plastic cap of her drink and I poured some whiskey into hers too. From the looks of it, it seemed like little by little I was corrupting Ellis. She shouldn't be friends with a bad boy like me, but it didn't stop her. It was so funny how things changed. How just exactly seven months ago, I only knew her from our tiresome routine at school where she had allegedly made it her new community-service goal to make my life a living hell. She was that girl who was unfathomably good at knowing where to catch me sneaking a drag between classes or pulling the next pranks. I knew her as the girl who wasn't fooled by charms or fooled by the golden boy aura, seeing me as an another troublemaker while maintaining grades that bested her. I just knew her as the lovely little hellraiser with an overworked glare reserved just for me every time the teacher praised me instead of her, that uptight bitch who had a problem with all the jokes I could think of about her height, her flat chest and her inability to get laid because she was such a controlling overachiever.

Now she was...I didn't know what she was to me.

After we were full and finished, Ellis decided to ask the dreaded question:

"So, um, what are we?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, even though I knew exactly what she meant. I just wanted to avoid it as much as possible. Ellis intertwined her hands together arbitrarily, eyeing me, wondering if she could get a read on me. A flint of annoyance rubbed inside of me that we were discussing this. It was not because Ellis's insistence to figure out everything, but it mostly had to do with the fact that she was smart. It had more to do with the fact that she was smart. Smart enough to put two and two together and break down my walls.