The Tour- Chapter 18

-Dick's POV-

"And this way is the Freshman covert operations classroom in sublevel one. I'm not suppose to take you down there, but it's pretty cool, so I'll take you anyways. I'd take you to the senior class in sublevel three, but everything down there is extremely classified." Lexi said as we did a tour of the school. So far, I've seen most of the main classrooms and hallways. I was in awe. These girls took four languages their freshman year, mastered them by the end of that year, took four more the next year, and so on. They could also do, among other things, PhD level chemistry and had computer skills that put Batgirl to shame.

She led me down a hallway that seemed older than the rest of the modern mansion, and for the first time, I wondered how long this place had actually been here. Eventually we stopped at a dead end.

"Are you sure we're going the right way?" I asked. She turned and smirked at me, then looked back at the painting, whose eyes suddenly glowed red. Beams shot out and scanned Lexi's face. When it accepted her, the ground opened a small, square hole at her feet. Of course. Secret passageways.

"Come on Wonder Boy." she laughed, then jumped. I quickly followed after and I landed on my feet in a crouched position. When I looked up, what I saw was very similar to the inside of Mount Justice. "This way." I followed her down the brightly lit hallway which opened up to a classroom with desks filled with girls in their uniforms. They were listening to their teacher lecture about something until one girl sitting in the back looked up and noticed us.

"Chameleon!" she screeched, jumping up and running towards us, alerting the other girls of our presence. They all did something similar and jumped up, following her example. Lexi laughed.

"Hey ladies. How's the class coming?"

"It's soooo cool! I want to be a pavement artist like you!" A girl squealed. I gave her a look, having no idea what that meant, and wondering why they were calling her a lizard, but Lexi wasn't paying attention.

"Well first things first, don't draw attention to yourself." Lexi laughed at the loud girl. "Just remember ladies, CovOps isn't the right track for everyone. Think hard when you decide if you want to take it next year. It's equally rewarding to be a tech operative in the background. And a whole lot safer."

"Chameleon, who's that?!? Is he an agent too? Why is he where sunglasses inside. Is he a pavement artist too?" They all shouted different questions until the teacher told them to settle down. 

"Calm down." Lexi laughed. "Call him... Shades. He wears the glasses because his identity is classified." She winked. The girls nodded like they heard this all the time.

"Hi.." I said awkwardly.

"Is he good?" another girl asked. I blushed deeply at that. "I mean, what kind of agent is he?" She continued. I blushed again at my miss interpretation.

"Yeah, Cham, is he a pavement artist too!?" Another asked. "That'd be so cool! Two covert experts in one room!"

Lexi shifted awkwardly. "Um.. no. Shades is more combat. Sorry guys." There were lots of awwwww's and groans.

"Hey, I'm a good covert agent!" I argued, finally figuring out what they were talking about. Staying hidden was a skill of mine that I'd always prided myself on.

"You will get to see both of them work tomorrow." The teacher said, turning to us. "It's a surprise for the alumni tomorrow. You'll see. Class dismissed ladies." The girls filed out of the class and out of a backdoor.

 When they were out, I said, "So... this is... different." 

"Definitely."she laughed. "Overwhelmed?" 

"Alittle, but don't worry. I'll be whelmed by tomorrow."  

"Come on. Let's go chat and have dinner. I'm excited about whatever the exercise is for tomorrow."

"Alright. And hey, why does everyone call you a chameleon?" This had been bothering me for the longest time.

"We use codenames a lot, and that's mine." She shrugged. "Same as calling Conor Superboy or you Nightwing."

"But... why a lizard??"

"You'll see." she winked, linking her arm with mine. When she saw the expression on my face, she laughed. "Let's just go." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guyyss. im not crazy about this one... but ya know, oh well. the next one will be betterrrr. COMMENT AND VOTE!!