Chapter Forty Eight

Chapter Forty Eight

Lienna

Frigga and I sat in her room, quietly reading over documents that didn't seem to have any relevance to Asgardian politics. It was a simple, dull task that came with the responsibilities of being a princess; one that I found peace in, but no motivation.

Odin had been, as usual, meeting with official nobles and politicians from all over the Nine Realms, and Loki had taken to training himself aggressively for some unknown reason. He would spar with warriors for hours, testing his mental and physical endurance as well as his fighting skills. When he wasn't training, he was reading books on magic, dark magic. Frigga told me that was normal, so I didn't give much thought to it, but it was still out of place. All this exercise and studying wore him out so much he either fell right asleep or spent his nights pacing in the bedroom as I tried to sleep.

A soft knock sounded at the door. It was Sif, someone I didn't see very much of.

She dipped her head in respect. "Princess, Allmother. Is Loki, by chance, with you?"

I shook my head, trying to read the expression in her eyes.

"Do you know of his whereabouts?" Sif questioned further.

"No. Sif, why do you ask us this? Is something wrong?" I asked, feeling a wave of anxiety wash over me.

She bit her lip. "He never arrived to spar with us, and the Allfather sent for him, but he was nowhere to be found. Guards searched the library and are searching the town, and Heimdall... Heimdall said that he can't see him."

I swallowed hard, trying to calm myself. Heimdall can't see him... By the name of the Allfather, Loki, what have you done now?

"Check with Heimdall again, and then see what the guards have turned up with," I said to Sif. Then I turned to Frigga. "Did you speak to him at all this morning?"

"He said hello, not much more." I could see the same worry I felt working through her.

I closed my eyes. "I'll go check our room, go speak to Odin."

Frigga nodded. I nearly ran to our bedroom, filling with an extreme panic. Why? Why would you do this, Loki?

I resisted the urge to tear apart the room, scrutinizing every familiar detail until it dawned on me. The emerald ring on my finger burned as I pulled it off, examining everything about it. My breath caught in my throat as I looked at the inside of the braided band.

This will be okay, it read, in Loki's neat handwriting.

I bit my tongue, trying to hold back a scream. No, it won't, Loki. You know that, you have to know that.

How could he do this? What comes next in his plan?

I slid the ring back onto my finger, suddenly very aware of the weight both that ring and my wedding ring had.

I longed to have Thor back in Asgard; he would know what to do, or at least have some blind sense about him to do something risky. I... I just had a deep fear and guilt, as if what Loki was doing was my responsibility. We were intertwined, after all. I pushed my black hair out of my face.

What should I do? What should I do?

I could feel a panic coming, coupled with flashbacks of Ander. My breathing quickened, as I dragged myself out of the bedroom, somehow finding my way to Sif, Odin, and Frigga.

"The guards found no sign of him, and Heimdall is still blind to him," Sif said.

Frigga pulled me into an embrace, and I rested my head on her shoulder. I refused to cry, but feeling Frigga's motherly love brought me close to tears.

"Lienna, do you know any reason as to why Loki would simply disappear?" Odin asked me, his voice soft but intense.

I pulled away from Frigga and shook my head.

"He was so calm and relaxed..." I whispered.

Odin nodded, deep in thought. "Frigga, take her somewhere to relax. She does not need the stress. Sif, continue the searches. I will speak to Heimdall and see if there is anything else to be done. Lienna, do not panic. This is not the first time Loki has done this."

I nodded, allowing Frigga to guide me back to her room.

I wish I was stronger than this. I wish I was as brave as Sif or Frigga, but instead, I am just the troubled princess.

Frigga prepared us some tea, sitting beside me.

"Frigga, why must I be this way?"

"What way, dear?"

"So panicked, so dependent," I sighed, frustrated with myself.

Frigga took my hand. "It's not your fault, Lienna. You've been through so much that no one else could. If any other person were to experience your trials, they would likely be dead. The fact that you have this trauma just shows how alive you still are, and I don't consider that a weakness. I consider that a strength."

I nodded, feeling a bit of relief from her words.

"Now, don't expect yourself to be completely changed from those words, because healing yourself may take a very long time, if it even happens at all."

"Of course," I agreed. "Thank you, Frigga. Thank you."

××××××

-

-

-

-

-

ahaha lots of things coming :))
lots of love,
katiethenovelist