Chapter 29-Surprise Part 2 [E]

The night was all so surreal. It felt too good to be true. It was one of the happiest days of her life. She couldn't have asked for a more magical evening.

Annie clasped her hands to her chest as she watched with wide eyes as the birthday cake came toward her slowly as the crowd sang the birthday song.

Julien snaked his arm around Annie's slender waist, bringing her closer to him as her cake came closer into view. The photographer took countless pictures, capturing the beauty of the night. The camera constantly flashing their movements, always hovering around, the cameraman must have took hundreds of pictures.

The birthday cake stopped mere inches before her.  The candles sparkled brightly reflecting in Annie's eyes and making them glow. 

"Make a wish!" The crowd that accumulated around them shouted.

Annie turned to Julien. He gave her a nod of encouragement. "Go ahead, make a wish."  He whispered close to her ear just as he had done in Hawaii. 

"Will you help me blow out the candles this time?"  Annie asked him.  Julien smiled and silently nodded. 

Annie closed her eyes and made a wish.  "I wish and hope—all that I desire comes true." 

She and Julien bent down slightly to blow out her candles for the second time. Annie made sure to change her wish this time just in case her last wish wasn't granted. It meant the same to her nonetheless.

Her desire was for Julien to be by her side for as long as they lived and the future she dreamt about with their baby someday. Opening her eyes the audience around her applauded and clapped happily. Whistles pierced in the air while more birthday wishes were shouted.

"Happy Birthday, love." Julien said while pecking her cheek softly. Gold confetti fell down all around them enchanting the celebration.

"Thank you." She turned to him as he held her. Patrick cleared his throat from behind them making them separate. Annie flushed in embarrassment.

"Hey now, I know I'm interrupting but I needed to wish my daughter a very Happy Birthday!" Swooping down and holding Annie to his chest in a fierce hug. It meant the world to her that her father was so lenient and accepting. She expected him to frown down upon her but she saw only acceptance in his eyes.

"I love you daddy." Annie whispered while she gazed at Julien who stepped in behind her father. Julien held her stare, waiting patiently as Patrick moved back and her mother came forward to embrace her.

"I love you so much sweetheart! Happy Birthday!" Charlotte gushed holding her tight.

"Love you. . .too." Annie said while looking Julien directly in the eyes as she said those three words.

Annie was aware of what she just did, feeling bold and confident. Admitting that she loved him made her feel at peace even though she never heard him utter those words to her yet. Julien had been the first one insinuating many things in their relationship. Being the first to confess her feelings out loud was a big advancement on her part—after all, she had been the one holding back all this time.

Julien's eyes narrowed, his gaze never wavering, the meaning of her words slowly sinking passed his skin and into his blood. Her gaze boring heavily into his, the message clearly was for him...Love you too.

Her announcement was completely unexpected, masking his features to cover up his surprise, Julien felt his heart constrict with happiness. He didn't have the outright chance declare his love.   In the private room, in the club, when they were all alone, he had hoped she understood his declaration.