2: THE GOLDEN DRAGON

Photo : Clint

Photo : Clint

Brad Cooper opens the mysterious package delivered to him in the middle of the jungle night!

**

With trembling hands, Brad picked up the small packet from the table. He gaped at it in astonishment. Why would anyone make a secret call in the middle of the night to a remote Pacific island to deliver a package to him?

What the hell could it be?

He turned it over in his hands. It was only a few inches square and he was totally mystified at the whole idea of it.

"For me?" he said aloud, wiping beads of sweat from his forehead. "It couldn't be from Mom. Nah, she could never arrange for a boat in the South Pacific to deliver me something in the middle of the night."

He almost laughed out loud at the thought of it.

"No, she'd send it through the regular mails, and this has no stamps or postmarks on it."

Then a sudden thought came to him and, his heart starting to bang, he acted on it impulsively and pulled the taut string off with his fingers.

"It might be from Dad! A package from New Britain. He sure could arrange for these people out here to make a special delivery, but why the fuck all the theatrics with the hideous laugh and the strange cry? And beating the crap out of me too? Hah, maybe it's just a local custom?" He snorted a laugh. "Yah, a confirmation of delivery - South Pacific style!"

He pulled the paper off and underneath was a wad of soft silky fabric that felt cool and gentle to the touch. It appeared to be a shade of silver and quickly picked up the light beams from the moon and stars and glittered in reflection.

It had been wrapped securely around an object in order to protect it, and Brad gently began to unwind the fabric. His eyes widened in further amazement when he saw he was holding a fierce-looking golden dragon, carved into a position of attack. It was about four inches in length and heavy in his hand as he hefted it.

Underneath it was a familiar piece of paper, one that immediately caused his already overworked heart to begin to hammer as if it would pop right out of his chest.

He held in his hand his father's Hammond Laboratories identification card.

"Oh Jeeezus!" he yelped.

The next moment Brad was running back into the bungalow and into the bedroom he shared with Clint. He flung the fabric, the wrappings, the dragon, and the identification paper down on his bed, turned on the lamp on the table between the beds and began beating Clint on the shoulders.

"Wake up! Something's wrong. My dad's in trouble. Dr. Pullman, too."

"Whoaaa ..." Clint sat up in surprise, eyes wide with confusion. "Hey ... ho! What the fuck? Stop hitting me. What'sa matter?"