Him and Me- Seven.

Leaning back on the sturdy trunk of the old tree at the back of the school, I sat and stretched my legs out in front of me as I looked up the tree’s branches. I didn’t know what kind of tree it was really, it was just big and its thick branches dispersed randomly, creating a huge shade underneath. I always went to this place when I needed to think, or when I just wanted to be alone. Amidst the busy hallways, loud talking, and screeching car tires, this is my silent sanctuary in school. 

Thoughts of Colby entered and exited my brain throughout the day. It was like a revolving door, he was in for one moment and then I’d regain some sense and push thoughts of him out of my now dysfunctional brain, but then the next thing I knew, he would be back in there again. News of Colby’s ingeniousness spread like wildfire across the school. I think what made it even more newsworthy was that someone like him managed to stay awake in the whole of Mr. Solis’s class. He did not come out as someone who likes studying, believe me.

Was I over him being such a conceited ass? No, not by a long shot. But I’d have to admit that what happened in chemistry class sparked my curiosity about Colby. He acted like a jerk to me. I’d heard him tease me until I was close to blowing up (and I did blow up), displayed cockiness, and displayed that little smirk of his like he was someone of such high importance. Yet I also saw in him a side which was nothing like a jerk. I’d seen how brother-like and gentle he was with Cam. I’d seen him smile for real. I’d seen how he skillfully explained a reduction-oxidation reaction.

I blinked. Colby Mariano sure was a mystery.

The grass underneath me felt slightly moist, but I didn’t really mind if it was leaving stains on my jeans. They were dark colored anyway. I plucked a grass from the ground and with my fingers shredded it to pieces. My last class was currently on-going, and I was skipping. It wasn’t really like me to skip class, but what was the use if I could barely stuff information into my brain anyway? Plus it was the last class, and it was just world history. I could easily catch up.

Crossing my legs Indian style, I breathed in through my nose, held it in for five seconds and exhaled through my mouth. Matty taught me that, probably to make fun of how I look whenever I did it. It helped me clear my thoughts though, so I was actually thankful to my older brother for teaching me something that he thought would make me look like a fool.

Taking a few breaths, I felt the calm surround me and for a while, I was at peace again. Then of course the bell had to ring that exact moment, and the faint chiming of it was enough to pull me out of my nirvana. Alright maybe nirvana was such a strong word, but I was just trying to be poetic with my thoughts. Reaching up towards the sky, I stretched my arms above my head. I've had always liked the feeling of stretching my bones. I got up from my grassy seat, dusted off my jeans and proceeded to the school's back door. Now that school's officially out for the day, all I wanted to do was to go home and sleep, and if possible, permanently shut my brain down.

Dodging people on their way out of classrooms, swiftly I walked to my locker and in Guinness World Record speed opened it and yanked my bag out. For a brief second I wondered if there was such a thing, a world record for the fastest opening of a locker, that I almost didn't notice a piece of paper that zigzagged its way down the floor and landed near my feet. Curious, I bent at the waist and retrieved the folded piece of paper. My eyebrows scrunched in confusion as I stood back up. Must be a note, but who would leave me one? I unfolded the note, skimming the contents, and my eyebrows rose. I looked away from the note, my eyebrows furrowing further, and did a double take, making sure I wasn't imagining what I just read.

Kayla, 

I didn't see you at lunch today. Is everything OK? Haven't seen you around school either. Dunno if I'll be able to catch you after school, we're in practice hell this week. Well, I just hope you're doing well.