Let's Go for a Ride

11

Let's Go for a Ride

It's around midnight and for some reason, I'm not tired.

I'm flicking through channels on my TV, trying to find anything other than an infomercial to watch, and secretly wishing that Luke would start playing his guitar again, just so I'd have a reason to knock on his door.

I sigh at the thought, he probably even isn't up. Or if he is, he's probably doing something much more interesting than lying in bed trying to decide if he wants a Ninja Blender.

Flipping over, I fluff my pillows and close my eyes, willing myself to sleep. It's really no use, I'm still wide awake, and with a sigh, I turn back to watching TV. Some lady is dramatically trying to force an eggplant into a seriously small vegetable dicer. She's an idiot, but she gives me an idea.

Food. That's what I need. Food can put anyone to sleep.

Slipping out of bed, I head out into the hallway; pausing briefly outside of Luke's door to see if he's up or not. His room light is on, but other than that it's quiet. I head downstairs and into the kitchen. There's a box of leftover pizza from the other night in the refrigerator, some fruit that I don't feel like cutting, and a half a jar of Nutella.

All of which I'm not exactly in the mood to eating. Sighing, I close the door and lean against the counter. I decide to go back upstairs, I wasn't really hungry in the first place.

This time when I pass Luke's door, I can hear him softly laughing at something. Without thinking twice, I turn the knob and push the door open; mentally praying that he's dressed.

And he is.

He's wearing a long sleeved sweatshirt and a pair of shorts, and he's sitting on his bed, with his head bowed as he watches something on his cell phone.

Luke doesn't notice me. I reach over and flick his light off and back on, and he looks up from his phone, pausing to take a ear bud out, "You alright?"

I nod, "Yeah, I'm bored. What are you doing?"

At first, he doesn't say anything, his bright blue eyes just staring at me, and then he sits up and admits matter-of-factly, "Penguins. I found a new video." Then, "What's wrong, Annie, you can't sleep?"

I nod my head, and lean against his door frame, "I don't know what it is."

"Well, come here." He sets his phone on his nightstand and motions for me to cut the light off.

I turn off the light, but I don't move. Should I really be in alone with Luke in his bed? He calls my name, and before I can ponder anymore on the thought, I walk over and crawl in besides him.

His covers are as warm as they were yesterday, and I slide under them; my bare leg making contact with Luke's calf. He lets out a low breath, and then snuggles down under his covers; twisting on his side to stare at me.

Reaching out, he tucks my hair behind my ear. My heart is thumping wildly in my chest, and I'm glad it's dark because my face is warm. Before he can do anything or say anything, I grab his hand and let it drop to the bed, nervously quipping, "Are you gonna tell me a bedtime story?"

Luke smiles shyly, "Not tonight, Annie."

"Another time?"

"We'll see." He turns over on his back to look up at the ceiling, "So, you're getting a car, huh?"

I nod, even though he can't see me, and flip over on my back beside him, "So, I've heard."

"And, I'm teaching you how to drive it?"