Chapter 2 ~ Mate

Jessie's P.O.V 

It has been almost a year now and I still haven't changed into my wolf. I had been trying for months after my birthday to change but I never did eventually, I gave up and tried to go back to life as normal, but my life changed considerably since that day. All of my friends had turned against me calling me an outcast, a disgrace and everything along them lines. As the months progressed they started to become violent during school hours they would push me into other students, slam me against lockers, play pranks on me and occasionally I would get a slap or the odd punch somewhere on my body. However, at home they were a lot worse. At home they didn't have to hide from the humans at our school so they could use their full strength on me. No one ever tried to stop it but then again no one ever gave me a second glance anymore, I had officially been casted from the pack. My parents have also changed. They no longer showed any affection towards me and they can't even look me in the eyes. When it all started I didn't understand why I was being treated in this way so I decided to do some research into it.

I snuck into my father's library which was connected to his office on the top floor of our house. I've always loved his library it was very peaceful and I loved the smell of all the books new and old. It was one of those typical library's that was very old fashioned, it had a dark red and brown carpet, dark brown walls, old, tall bookshelves which were stacked with books and a spiral staircase leading up to the second floor. I knew exactly what I was looking for and that was the book that the elders wrote about everything to do with werewolves. I only hoped that the answers I was looking for was in that book.

I climbed the spiral staircase not bothering to be quite as my parents were out like they were most nights; I was starting to think that they only went out to get away from me. I stopped at the top of the staircase and observed the second floor. Now where did my dad keep that book again? I thought to myself. You see before everything turned upside down in my life my dad would always bring me to the library and he would teach me about our kind; werewolves.

I continued on my mission heading towards the back of the library. I remember now where the book was hidden. There was a secret compartment behind the back wall where my father kept his rare, prized books.

I suddenly came face to face with the back wall. I scanned my eyes over the wall until they landed on a tiny lever which was invisible to the human eye. I flicked the lever with my fingers. The wall started to grumble and shake; I definitely don't remember it doing this. I quickly grabbed onto the nearest thing to me which happened to be a bookshelf and clung on for dear life. The wall continued to grumble in protest as it slowly began to reveal what I came here to look for. I let go of the bookshelf and slowly walked to the whole that the wall had created. I looked around the small, dark room searching for the book. On the side of I found a light switch, flicking it on I found that this room that I though was small was in fact huge! I looked around again searching. Then I found it. The book stood on a tall, elegant, carved stand in the middle of the room. I had found the book that would hopefully hold all the answers to my questions; The Book of the Supernatural.

~ * ~

I've been sat in the library for hours flicking through the thick book. You would've thought they could have included a contexts page or at least an index page, but no the elders had to make life difficult and make the reader go through every single page. I was being to grow tired and I could feel my eyes falling every now and then. I was about to give up until another day when I came across something interesting.

Wolves that didn't transform.

This looks promising, I thought. I stared at the title. I was finally going to find out why I didn't shift and why everyone now hated me. I eagerly started to read.