Chapter 3

A loud crash woke me and I rubbed my head unhappily. I had had the same dream that night. I was woken at the exact same time in the dream, which meant nothing had been revealed about who the men were. The men, their faces still clear in my mind, reminded me of a story I had heard when I was younger. It couldn't be; they weren't real... I mean how could pirates be real? 

Then I remembered the crash... What was it?  

Crawling out of my bed, I pushed my feet into a pair of slippers and stumbled over to the door. I grabbed my thin silk surcoat and pulled it on over my night gown before sneaking over to the door. Grasping the handle, I took a deep breath and slowly turned it. I flinched as it creaked loudly when I pulled it open. I waited a few seconds, until I noticed that no one had heard it. 

Sticking my head out of the gap, I looked up and down the corridor but saw no one. Pushing the door further open, I slipped out into the passage. Quietly walking along the corridor, I listened tentatively for any other loud noises. Where was everyone, surely the servants should be up working already.

Maybe someone had killed them.

Why did that come into my head? I was just being paranoid! Why would anyone want to kill my family? My mother died in childbirth, my father an important ally to the king. Then it dawned on me, they were rebels come to kill my father. I instinctively dropped further into the shadows: they would be armed and dangerous. 

I began to panic; I needed to do something, but what? My body was telling me to run, get away, but my brain was too curious, I needed to look more, I needed to know who it was. 

I finally brought up the courage, to see who it was, and slowly tip toed down the stairs, holding my breath, not wanting to make the slightest noise. The walk down the staircase felt long and I began to feel myself panic more as I got closer to the intruders. 

I finally got to the bottom of the stairs, catching my breath; I tightened my night gown around my chest and waist and began to walk again, careful with my steps, trying to make no noise.

That’s when I saw it.

A shadow coming from behind the door, I could hear slight mumbling but not enough to work out what they were saying. I began to walk closer, my body filling with adrenaline. 

Normally the floor boards are quiet, they make no sound with contact, but just this one night, it would happen and as my delicate feet touched the floor, a small squeak formed, echoing around the silent room.

Then everything went still. There was no noise. The shadows were still, and I began to feel sweat form on my forehead. 

I watched one shadow slowly move towards the door, and I done the first thing I could think of, Scream.

"Ahhhhhh" My voice shrieked and I heard a rumble of feet, that’s when I thought fast and moved my feet running around the corner and into the kitchen. I pushed the door open with force, looking back every so often, checking if anyone was following. 

I ran through the kitchen, banging into pots and pans as I went past making a loud crash, causing my body to jump, I began to slow down at the end of the room, leaning over to catch my breath, I held my stomach as a strong pain shot up my side, causing me to wince. 

There was a loud bang as a door swung open at the far end of the kitchen and Daniel emerged from the darkness behind it. 

"Mistress?" He asked confused, "What are you doing up this late?" 

"Intruders." I hissed grabbing his hand and dragging him behind a preparation table. Just in time too as the door I had just come through crashed open.